What I Learned Today

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Hedi Mitchell, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Today I learned how to cook barley, what tapioca is, cookies have widely varying calorie content. Chocolate Chips from 99-Cent store, family-business made in Texas, have 60 calories each; same cookie sold by Kroger (should I start calling them "Croaker"?) 150 cal. each. Wide disparity.

Also learned more about living with adversity. This morning the water pipe we had repaired a year ago under the house failed, and was pouring huge amounts out. So, reconnoitering, we have the water in the house shut off, no toilets, no faucets, no showers. I showered out on the patio, using the water hose, as the outdoor spigots are fed before the house inlet. This also allows us to continue cooling via the swamp cooler. Last year I did crawl under the house to survey the problem, but just could not deal with the rigors of crawling the length of the house on my belly, 80 feet, over rocks and fill more than once. The space is under 3 feet high, with much obstruction, ducts, etc. The plumber took $200. Suspect his job failed. Now, the arthritis is so bad, I can't see even attempting to get under there. But, a hole cut in the floor would allow repair from above, if only I knew exactly where the break is.....dilemma to the n'th degree.
    Frank

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica ...geez that is too much to learn in one day Frank. You need a break.
    Hope it all worksout soon.:)

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I learned that there is a "smiley shortcut" in Windows 10. (Well, I knew it but I never actually used it. ) Press the Windows Key + period (.) to make the menu pop up.

And then I learned that apparently they don't display on SOC. :D

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I learned from my annual gas and electricity check, that I don't have to replace or have anything repaired.. !! It's usually the way because hubs keeps everything ship shape with regard to plumbing and electrics and we have carbon monoxide alarms in case of a gas leak, so I always expect it to be fine, but it's still a relief to know all is well!!

We're going to have to get a new Fuse box.. apparently this one is too old at 10 years old, but the electricity board are going to install that for free,. ..so we'll have to arrange a date for that!

5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Recently I read of California proposing to ban gas stoves in primary residences! Anyone heard this?
    Ftrank

Micki Pembroke and Bill Boggs like this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

For being such a liberal state, California sure spends a whole lot of time trying to legislate people's lives. :confused:

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bess Barber

Agreed! I suppose it's some kind of concern over their famous Prop. 65, "Reproductive harm or cancer......", suppliers now seem to be placing that warning label on just about everything. Gas stoves are not vented to the outdoors, thus a certain amount of harmful pollutants are emitted into the premises, such as Carbon Monoxide. Next thing they will attack cooking of food, which creates dangerous compounds within it!
    Frank

8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica Same bunch who eats health food, but yet injects their lips and butts with fat filler. :D

I learned today that I could press a T-shirt sleeve with a flat hair iron instead of dragging out the real iron.
    I do this so my sleeves stays rolled. I don't like dangling sleeves.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Today I learned a new word ... trifurcation. :cool:

[​IMG]

11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I read on the internet it had been proposed. Don't remember where. I don't like that you have what I consider a massive problem. Looks like somebody is going to have to crawl under the house in order to pinpoint the
    Problem location, unless a plumber has a better idea. Good luck.

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bess Barber
    When something like sleeves offend me, I cut them off! My wife never irons anything, while I vividly recall my Mother and sister ironing everything in the kitchen every Monday night! They had one of these:
    [​IMG]

Stuck into a quart bottle from soda:
    [​IMG]

But not everything got sprinkled, why, I never knew!
    Frank

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I had to look that up.

14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I've used a sprinkler bottle. Most things iron easier if they are sprinkled. Some materials don't need sprinkled. My wife ironed a white shirt for me shortly after we married. It was hanging on a piece of molding between rooms. I got home and starting getting ready to drive the ssixty-eight miles from Rankin, TX to Odessa for a meeting. I saw the shirt and commented, I thought you were going to iron my shirt. She replied, "I did iron the damn thing" She went on to say my mother never taught me to iron. I was left handed. I was Rome ently out of the service where everything was spit and polish and stripes. Three stripes down the back of my military shirts

I told her, no sweat, I'll get a new one in Odessa and I did. I ironed in the Army so I added ironing to my things around the house to do. Much later, I sent my shirts out to a laundry to be washed, starched, and ironed. That continued until retirement. My casual clothes I've always ironed. Knocking a crease in all my pants, in everything that contained cotton, even my jeans. I don't do that now, but I still have my sprinkler bottle. The sprinkler I gave to somebody. Now when I iron something, usually a pair of pants, I just dip my hand in water and shake the water out on the pants until it's damp like I want it.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I iron Nothing and have not in years. Just never had a reason to iron now days. My dryer gets all wrinkles out for sure.