What I Learned Today

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Hedi Mitchell, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

What i learned yesterday.....sometimes i amaze myself so, i may scare myself sometimes. Had a fitbit given to me as a gift a couple days ago...wow...i set it up on my ipad all by myself, amazing what i can do when i follow instructions. :):):).

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Going to a vasculiar doctor this Friday- hopefully he will know something..
    Thank you all for caring :)

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

He'd better !
    I know and feel your frustration - prayers will be said for an answer xx

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck with that @Gloria Mitchell , I hope something good comes out of it finally...

I'm in hospital myself on Tuesday for another procedure..2 weeks after the last one... !!

5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Dang that is not good. Hope and pray all works out for you. Huggies !

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Today I've just learned my daughter has broken down at the bottom of her mountain.. her car has just stopped working for no apparent reason, and the unmade track up to her house is a 25% gradient steep several miles twisting and winding journey... she's trying to get someone to come and help her but she's in a Catholic country (Spain) where hardly anyone works on Sundays especially garages and mechanics.., and of course speaking in another language to someone on the phone, who is being deliberately awkward, isn't helping her at all stuck in the middle of nowhere, and at least 20 miles from the nearest garage.. ....

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Oh no.
    Not good :(

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Holly Saunders Sorry to hear you're having to deal with health issues, hope your procedure does what it needs to do.......Feel for your daughter's dilemma......other languages are not very helpful at times, like your daughters, today.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

She's fortunate that she can speak Spanish and Spanish well enough to know that the woman on the other end of the phone is being deliberately awkward , but she's now been able to get hold of her own mechanic (Spanish) , he can't come out for another hour, so she;s stuck half way up the mountain on a single track road... .. she sent my o/h a message with the sound the van is making when she tries to get it to start and it sounds like she's got a fuel feed problem... very annoying because this is a brand new engine in this van not more than a few weeks ago..and very frustrating and worrying for us.. in another country...

Thank you both Gloria, and Micki for your best wishes for my health ... they really are very much appreciated xx

Micki Pembroke and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Being broken down in a vehicle somewhere (and alone) is one of the things that I hate most, and I can guess at how hard this must be for your daughter, @Holly Saunders . The good thing is that at least we now live in an age where we usually can have a mobile phone along and be able to call for help.
    Is she close enough that she can walk the rest of the way home if she needs to do that ? Maybe she can at least get someone to help her get home, and then if they can’t fix the vehicle today, she would be able to be at home while she waits for the mechanic tomorrow.
    Sounds like maybe the mechanics did something wrong when they installed the new engine , maybe ?

In any case, sending you prayers for you and your daughter, and a big HUG, Holly !

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

She would have had a very long walk up a very steep and windy unmade track in the heat up to the top of the mountain Yvonne, . She was however able to call for someone to come and drop her off at her house, then collect another vehicle and drive back down the mountain, and wait for the mechanic to appear. he did actually arrive quicker than expected and towed the car to his garage, they rarely fix anything outdoors in Spain unless it's very clearly obvious. ...

The unfortunate thing about it all is that she would not have been in a position to sit at home waiting for a mechanic even if she wanted to because her job is constantly on the go.. collecting and delivering to customers their precious cargo... , so for that reason alone she has to have , several vehicles always available to be used if any break down. It was just very unfortunate that on a particularly busy day of a even busier week to come this is a Spanish holiday week this week coming, , Semana Blanca so its very busy everywhere already and she'll need full use of all her vehicles ... that the van broke down in the most awkward of places as it did. Fingers crossed now that it will be fixed by tomorrow... one of her staff members wrote off one of her vehicles just last week crashing it into a bridge in the pitch dark and the vehicle is a complete wreck which mean dd has to buy another van...... so it's costs a fortune for vehicle upkeep just recently... o_O

Micki Pembroke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. Keep us updated.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I learned a new concept ...

[​IMG]

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Today, I was reading a little about Amerigo Vespucci, for whom this continent gets the name , America. Since, to him, it was just his given name, and not the name of a country, as it is today, I decided to look up the name Amerigo and see what it means.
    It is apparently another word for the German name, Emmerich; so then I looked that one up.
    According to the definition, the “emmer” comes from the word “ermen”, which means whole or universal. The “rich” part of the name Emmerich means “ruler” , from the word “ric”.
    So, in a way, you could say that the name of America translates into universal ruler. I found this to be interesting, since for many years now, the United States of America has been considered a world leader.

15. Micki Pembroke

Registered

What i learned today....Fitbits don't lie....i burn less calories than i take in....Dumb Fitbit. :eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O.