What Is Your Go-to Insecticide?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Neville Telen, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have Clark's Pest Control ...they come every other month and it's $75!

They were just here yesterday....now that I'm thinking about it...that's too expensive...think I'll cancel...especially with winter coming.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I try to limit the poisons. Diatomaceous earth around the outside of the foundation of the house and in the crawlspace seems to do a good job of keeping them out of the house and garden, I have used soap and neem oil in the garden, as well as the diatomaceous earth there as well. We haven't had fleas since I started feeding my cats premium cat foods almost two decades ago, and this has included summers when my next-door neighbor complained about fleas on his cat.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We don't have much in insect pests other than ants. For carpenter ants, I use a battery-powered sprayer once a year in the spring around the foundation. In the barns and greenhouses, I use a boric acid-sugar water mixture. In the South, I found electrostatic boric acid worked best on roaches.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It used to be Dursban, until they banned making it. It was the only thing that would get rid of roaches, for months, and you only had to spray it wherever you knew they would cross its path. Now I just use generic spray bug killer around the house. It pretty much only kills roaches on contact.

I used the Raid fogger once, when I apparently tracked a flea or two in the house, and it multiplied. :p It did the job, but it gets all over everything, and I didn't like using it because of the (indoor) cat.

Actually hair spray does a good job in a pinch if you run across a single roach. lol There are lots of insects in the south.:confused:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Nancy Hart, the advantage of the electrostatic boric acid is that nothing has ever been known to develop a resistance to it. We bought a "fixer-upper" in Georgia many years ago, and it had roaches everywhere. We pulled all the kitchen and vanity drawers out , and put the boric acid behind the, then replaced the drawers. We had pets and small children and didn't want anything they could get into. Within a few days, all the roaches were gone and never returned. Fleas were another matter. We used diatomaceous earth to control them, but always had them around.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I use nothing. Just don't care for chemicals. Keeping a clean home and property goes a long way towards having a pest free environment.