What Keeps Businesses Successful?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Travelling in Europe, my only time there, in 1972 with my wife of 7 years, we stopped in a small town in Switzerland, and walked about. A Bakeri beckoned, and we entered an establishment unchanged in several hundred years. The son of the owner, speaking perfect English, told us the business had been established by his great-great-grandfather, and remained a family tradition since. The building housing it was beautiful. Seemingly, no interest had been shown in acquisition of other similar businesses, opening more stores, or any other means of expansion. These folks knew how to make the finest baked goods, had daily repeat customers, made a good living, and were satisfied at that.

Fast forward to 1986, me building our own house, taking a part-time job with Sears in Maintenance, this was I believe Sears' 100th. year. Inexplicably, within a few more years, the business faltered. Why? IMO, too much Management set too far away from the actual sales arenas. The home offices in Chicago had hundreds upon hundreds of corporate managers, who dictated requirements that actually hindered operations at the store level. They dictated the color of doorknobs! I kid you not! The night before a "visit" by one of those kingly upper level managers, one David Kenshol, the very bannister the man would use the following morning to guide himself down the stairs to the business office, was painted as a tribute to assuage his normally overly-gruff entrance. Early the next morning, the paint on the bannister was still sticky! Oh, my lord, what can be done? We are doomed. Every manager in the store was quickly seen wielding hair dryers grabbed from their display places, legions of extension cords tripping them, as a last ditch effort to dry that offending paint was undertaken!

David Kenshol's portrait was vividly displayed in the business office, as befitted a King! His own "act" was one typical of the reason for the fall of Sears from the graces of the buying public, IMO.

I receive a pension check from Sears every month, showing the depth of their gratitude for the thousands of dollars which otherwise would have been paid contractors, as I kept those huge A/C machines running in stores in AZ, CA, NM, and TX. My pension is $ 97.49 per month. Again, I kid you not.
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is why I prefer a 401K plan. I get $10-$12,000 a year from it. I learned the hard way about how loyalty is rarely rewarded except in the company I just retired from. They were nice enough to give me half a year's bonus and keep the thousands of dollars of computers and electronic devices they paid for. I have been screwed by every other company I worked for. Promises broken and out right lies. I learned to work for the highest bidder and get the highest salary I could without counting on any benefits. My former company gave me 25% of the net profits due to a verbal agreement when they lured me to join their company. Even let me work from home and set my own hours as long as my job got done. If I was not burnt out I would still be working for them.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are so many factors that go into opening and operating a successful business but it only takes a couple of things to ruin it.
    Beyond a Walmart opening up near a local general store or a Home Depot near a local hardware store, a business owner’s dreams can easily be rendered “just dreams” for the lack of what I call “give a dern”.
    Note: Give a dern is when the client, guest, customer or patient comes first and nothing else matters but them.

When staff and employees are only looking at their own back pockets or are lackadaisical instead of being productive then there are going to be problems.
    When any one person’s ego is so huge that they believe they aren’t expendable, there’s going to be problems.
    When consistency, whether good or bad (hopefully good) is non existent or momentarily abandoned, there’s going to be problems.

Yesterday, we went out to eat lunch. Somebody didn’t “give a dern”. Somebody opened a #10 can of green beans and simply threw them on a steam table instead of cooking them according to an already established recipe.
    They were unseasoned, only warm (unsafe) and were not at all consistent with past renderings of the product.
    The fault was in the hands of the whole chain of restaurants because that’s what a new guest would experience and an old guest would complain about.
    Granted, from management to the line cooks somebody didn’t care but that one mistake reflected on the reputation of all the stores, not just the one.

By the bye, I did write and give the regional manager a heads up. Nothing harsh nor filled with drama, just a friendly “give a dern”.

4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Over the years we have had several little mom & pop businesses in our area that had a winning product and didn't change a thing for two or three generations.

It always seems that eventually. a generation comes along that wants to improve things or expand and within a few short years, the business is gone.

"Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Til its gone..." -
    Joni Mitchell

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Better to have a 50 seat restaurant that is full than expand to a hundred seats and have the place half empty.

6. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

We had a local restaurant owner that always said: "I would much rather make a dollar off of ten customers than ten dollars off of one customer."

It must've worked because his joint was always jumpin'!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Too true. It’s all about attitude.
    When I first started at the Monteleone Hotel in New Orleans, I was filling in at the service bar. There were 6 seats for guests but my main job was to keep the cocktail waitresses and the restaurant waiters happy.
    Toward the end of the night, a somewhat disheveled character came in and sat at my bar. He had on a very dirty and old hunting jacket and smelled like he hadn’t taken a shower in days.
    I served him and then when he ordered I served him again...and again.....and again. No problem, it’s New Orleans.
    When he asked for his check, he asked for a pen to sign his check and told me he was the owner of the Monteleone, Mr. Bill Monteleone himself. He didn’t have any cash, no wallet and no hotel key but I stayed friendly and called security who, much to my amazement, verified who he was.

Long story short, when I clocked in the next afternoon I was directed to Mr. Monteleone’s office by the food and beverage supervisor. When I got to the office, Mr. Monteleone personally fired me then rehired me as his new Maitre D’ Hotel. Tailor made tuxedo, free hair style a couple times a week, % of wine and food sales plus an ungodly amount of money in tips each night.

All Bill told me was that he liked how I treated people and the way I took care of his business.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Dang it, some guys had all the luck.......

Frank

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As I see it, for a local retail store to compete against a chain, being located where there isn't a big box store nearby selling the same stuff is a plus, of course. Otherwise, or even so, they need to offer something that's not available from the big box store. Usually, that consists of service, convenience, and a good shopping experience.

I like shopping at a store where I am known, and I'd have to do a whole lot of shopping to be known as a big box store. However, what I have seen locally is that local store owners and employees are generally more interested in their own convenience than in that of the customer.

For example, we have two hardware stores. I'll pay the higher price to buy my tools, screws, nails, and whatever from a local True Value, which is a chain, in a sense, but they are usually locally owned franchises and not big box stores. However, while True Value always knew who I was and treated me nicely despite the fact that we are on opposite sides of local political issues, they closed at 4 pm on weekdays, at noon on Saturdays, and weren't open at all on Sunday. That didn't affect me so much but people who worked a day job couldn't get there in time to buy anything on a weekday, leaving them with a window between 10 am and noon on Saturday in order to find them open.

The other hardware store is open longer hours but it is a one-man operation, pretty much, and he's angry all the time. Shortly after moving to Millinocket, I went there looking for something, I don't remember what now but, although I would know it when I saw it, I didn't know what it was called. Rather than just allowing me to find it, he asked what I was looking for. When I tried to explain that I didn't know what it was called but would know it when I saw it on the shelves, he said, "Well, if you don't even know what you're looking for I don't know why you're wasting my time."

I left, and it's been about seventeen years now and I haven't wasted his time again. I had thought it was just me that he had a problem with, but I have since heard it from other people as well, including a friend who is a contractor and would buy a lot of stuff from him.

The True Value went out of business about a year ago, but someone else bought it a couple of months ago and has reopened it as a True Value, but I haven't been in there yet so I don't know if he's going to keep the same stupid hours.

Other local businesses around here will close early if things are slow or take days off whenever they want to, so it's hard to know whether you're going to find them open or not. Although we have three or four auto service places in Millinocket, I drive two towns away for servicing because the local seem to never be in any hurry to get anything done, or even to start on it, and they're as likely to be close as open even when the sign says that they are supposed to be open.

Frank Sanoica likes this.