What Managers Do

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

This will take explanation; bear with me, please. My co-worker Bruce and I, working for Dana Corporation in Indiana, where the product was rubber oil seals, were approached by a General Tire and Rubber Co. subsidiary in Phoenix to come work for them. Both companies were members of the Rubber Manufacturers of America, RMA, so particularly important industry developments were shared. Bruce & I had built a unique automated rotary molding machine for Dana; it was patented. We named it "Quanta".

The Phoenix Co., Penn Athletic Products made tennis and racquetballs, both difficult to produce rubber products. Bill, their Research and Development Director, flew to Indiana and Bruce showed him the Quanta machine. Thus, Bruce accepted a position at Penn. A few months later, Bill again flew to Indiana and interviewed me over dinner. He asked if I minded if he contacted Dana to confirm details of my position; I told him I would rather he did not (obviously!). Bill agreed to my wish. About a week later, the offer was made, I accepted, and the little Hoosier girl from Dana whom I had married were off to Phoenix.

One day, while Bill was out, dropping some information on his desk, I noticed a book on his bookshelf entitled "What Managers Do". I opened it, glancing at the contents. One chapter was entitled "Lying to subordinates". Investigating, I found the author condoned such practice. Bill evidently believed in the book.

Bruce had revealed to me that Bill did indeed call Dana, after stating he would not: he LIED to me. This one act which went supremely against Bruce's and my principles put us both on constant alert. This story has a curious turn of events, but I'll not go into it here.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

Next chapter, please.

Al Amoling likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I’ve read the synopsis a couple of times and what I’m trying to figure out is why you got ticked because the guy lied to you.

Yeah, I know that my statement isn’t going to win friends and influence people but here’s where I am coming from. There are only a couple of exceptions in my life when I fully trusted managers or owners of businesses.
    In my secular field, I was in a position of “much demand” and as such I learned that I needed to be prepared for a manager or owner to tell me everything I wanted to hear whether they meant it or not. Smiling Faces do indeed tell lies (so the song goes) especially when the person behind that smiling face wants something so badly that he or she will do or say anything to get it.

For example: The most popular prevarication occurs during bonus time. I always insisted on bonuses for meeting and surpassing food, bar and labor costs with each category having it’s own bonus schedule. Now, the management or ownership will always agree to that sort of contract but what they never knew from the start is that I always do my own book work and inventory and then challenge higher management or the owner himself to go back over my work.
    Why? Because my first experience with a bonus denying owner was that he had his own staff doing the inventory and would cook the books so I started doing them myself and yes, caught him and his staff in a lie.

The problem that most staff and owners have with me is that I got tired really fast with people who would look me in the eye and lie hence my propensity for shooting from the hip. If you like what you hear or if you do not it is fine with me but that’s the way it is which is also the attitude I taught other managers under my teaching wing to be. Straight and to the point whether it’s good, bad or indifferent. No need for forced smiles or false pity. Let everyone know where they stand with you.

All that said, I’m sorry you got beat up with the mistrust bug but it’s something that a lot of us have had to go through in order to formulate our own plan on how to thwart those nefarious individuals.
    As I have written before on a few occasions on this very forum, I only have absolute trust in my wife and God and everyone else is pretty much at arm’s length.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole "......what I’m trying to figure out is why you got ticked because the guy lied to you. "

Two reasons. I greatly dislike lying when it concerns mutual trust, especially between Manager and Subordinate, and,

He lied to me again, when, after successfully providing the company with a working prototype machine projected to save over a million dollars annually, he announced as I was terminated that they felt I had been "ineffective".

Truth was, I had had words with the Plant Manager, an egotistical tyrant, and he had found means to "can" me.

The company had for years sought a machine capable of doing what mine did, having contracted with several machine-builders and spent some hundreds of thousands of dollars with no success. One of their early mistakes was to not obtain a "guarantee of performance" clause, that being something the proposed builders would NEVER bring up during negotiations.

Bobby Cole likes this.