What Musical Instrument Do You Play Or Wish You Could Play

Discussion in 'Music' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, I'm happy someone else likes it. Being part Slovak , I was brought up around lots of polka music. To this day, I can hardly stand polka's. My gramps would punch me in the head for saying that.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders - Ah yes, the violin that sings beautifully ...................

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course, drums. I use to be able to play Wipe Out, by the Safaris, really good. Would have loved to learn how to play Lead Guitar and/or the keyboard. A band that has a keyboard in it, like Deep Purple and Styx, is an excellent rock band to me. When it comes to Country music, a fiddle is always a great addition as well as an harmonica. A lot of today's Country bands don't even look, or sometimes, even sound Country. Those old bands/artists, like Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, George Strait, The Judds, Diamond Rio, Garth Brooks and so on.........THOSE were Country bands/artistis! Just like me, most of them have now retired.

Even though I tapped drumsticks on different things when I was a teen, my step-parents actually had me take a couple of lessons playing an accordion. That was one musical instrument that I really didn't like. I guess they could see this because the lessons stopped and have no idea what happened to the "squeeze box".........and didn't care.

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't blame you on the accordion. Accordians and polkas go together, and I hate 'em both.:)

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Like Babs I wanted to learn how to play the piano when growing up too. Throughout life I wanted to learn how to play the guitar, ukelele and shakuhachi. Didn't learn it...sold the ukelele, gave away the guitar and still got my beginner's shakuhachi a glass one. I love music, just can't play an instrument, but wish I could play instruments.

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread makes me realize that I don't know how to play any musical instrument, huh. I remember my older sister having a recital for her piano lessons when we were in grade school. Maybe my father was engrossed with my horseback riding so I was neglected with musical instruments. And to think that I used to listen to the radio while reviewing my lessons for school, maybe I should have been given an opportunity to learn. But on the other hand, I am not really music-minded especially when I started working, it seemed that I had lost great interest in music although sometimes I also listen to music stations in my car's radio.

When we were in high school, we went on caroling from house to house to raise funds for our school. All the choir members needed to sing and I had my share with that. But with the instrument, I was holding the maracas, it's a percussion instrument, I guess, that has a handle and a round object like an avocado with something inside that makes the sound. Yeah, that's what I handled because it's the easiest musical instrument to play.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved the sound of organ music. I am pretty sure that it came from my love of merry-go-rounds (carrousels ) that always had music from a calliope, which is similar in sound to an organ.
    In any case, I love organs, and always wanted one of my own.
    My mother had owned an old pump organ, and I loved to sit and play that, pushing the stops in and out happily as i played along and pumping the foot pedals.

Eventually , i did get an organ, and it was the realization of my dreams of owning one.
    The organ that I had was a Lowrey Genie organ,and it was so sophisticated that you didn't really have to know much to play it, since it could do chords and harmonies all on its own with the push of a button or two.
    I moved it around with me for maany years, and finally ended up with it at the little trailer house in Bonners Ferry, back before I met Bobby and we got married.
    Since I lived way out in the country, I could play it any time I wanted to and sing along as loud as I wanted, and know that it was not disturbing anyone.

After Bobby and I moved from Idaho, we had to leave my organ behind, and it eventually went to a family who had kids that wanted to learn to play an organ or piano; but I have sadly missed it ever since.
    I will never have another one in my lifetime; but it was my dream musical instrument, and I dearly loved it when I had it.
    Here is a picture of a similar one.
    image.jpeg

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

When I played in this Senior Citizens band a few years ago, I played Fender Bass and Rhythm Guitar, but I could also fill on on Drums or Piano if those positions were vacant.

I also played Clarinet and Sax, but not in the band. I played all instruments from memorizing the Chord Progressions, which took me right into the correct melodic notes!

Read music?.....Who needs it!

All in the photo are dead except me and the Lady, who took over on Drums when Englishman Geoffrey de Helsby died.

Our piano player played until he was 100 years old. Shown is Ted at his 99th birthday party.

Hal 059.JPG

Attached Files:

• 181.jpg
      181.jpg
      File size:
      141.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Bess Barber and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

WOW, that's sad that all your buddies are gone Hal...

Bess Barber likes this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Registered

I don't think it's so sad, Hollysworth...I jam with other cats every Thursday morning on the Club's bandstand!

Halsworth Hallington

Bess Barber and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

You should hear Kalinka by the Red Army Chorus! It's probably Russia's best known folk song.

Kalinka is a snow-covered Raspberry that represents a loving feeling to the singer.

Go to YouTube and listen to the Red Army Chorus do "Kalinka, Kalinka, Kalinka, Maya!"

Hal

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019