What Signs Tell You That You're Getting Older?

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Thomas Stearn, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

He has always eaten just once a day for as long as I have known him; just his preference I suppose. He is a smoker and he will snack on fruit or dessert while watching TV at night. He just doesn't care for breakfast or lunch most days.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

To Each His Own They Say

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am one of them and suspect it's due to certain health problems and or certain medications taken. No one how ever seems to go to bed at a reasonable time and sleep for six to eight hours, get up and repeat the process. Those days are over. There seems to be a lot of napping, even at lunch or dinner some times.

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes. But many of my neighbors do all the time.

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I go to bed early and get up early....no later than 4:30 a.m. Most of the retired people I know, stay up late and sleep till mid morning. I guess it's just a personal preference. Napping too much during the day, unless a person is ill, really isn't a wise thing to do because it disrupts your sleep patterns. Also, staying away from caffeine, sugar and alcohol in the evenings, will help a person sleep better. I think older people also get odd sleeping problems due to medications. Some make a person sleepy, then they nap during the day until they can't sleep a full cycle at night.

6. Lois Winters

Registered

Regardless of what time I fall asleep, I am up at 5 a.m. I do nap during the day as I fall asleep reading which I do frequently.

7. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Normally bedtime is about 10pm when we do am fishing trips up anywhere from 3-8 am just a reg day usually take dogs out maybe 1 time at night (3am) for a pee and they come right back in maybe again at 6am and back in get up about 8am, no naps unless very tired and up very early, I like to keep a regular schedule if I can but will stay up for any decent reason at all like a good movie or ?? Do get up earlier in the spring and summer months though.

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't drink, but if I really wanted to go to sleep half a beer reading a book will do it to me every time.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Given that my work history has consisted of working two 8-hour jobs a day, working night shifts, being on call, and teaching every day but Sunday (and sometimes Sundays), I never really had a sleep pattern, so nothing has changed there, except that I can now go to sleep whenever I feel like it and get up whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I'm in bed by midnight, more often it's about 2 or 3 am, and sometimes the sun is up before I go to bed. If I'm tired during the day, I'll take a nap.

It has more to do with retirement than age, I think. Although I am still working part-time, I do this work whenever I want to. My neighbors, who are seniors, seem to get up with the sun, and go to bed awfully early too.

Lois Winters likes this.
  10. Lois Winters

Registered

In my professional life, I've had to work all manner of shift work, thus my sleep patterns have been off kilter for most of the time. I sleep until I awaken and if I am tired later, I'll sleep again. Simple as that.

Nancy Hart and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I go to bed rather early but my wake up time varies. Around 2 AM my bladder tells me it's time to take a walk. Sometimes I will fall right back to sleep and sometimes not. If I get a whole lot of exercise during the day, I have a tough time getting to sleep and this might persist for a day or too. It drives me crazy. I think the quality of sleep is influenced by your physical and mental state and even by the weather. There are such things as sleepy kind of days. A deep and restful sleep leads to a very pleasant beginning to the day but is elusive.

12. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we still go to bed with the chickens...

and get up with them!

i would like a nap sometimes

Monica Rich and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Lon Tanner

Registered

Until developing Rheumatoid Arthritis & Peripheral Neuropathy I was always up,awake and into the shower by 6 AM. It now takes me two hours longer to get my stiff creaky body moving. I do not sleep well and am very groggy body and stiff joints require a cup of Peet's Coffee. It's really mid morning before I feel reasonably good.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't do too much bouncing out of bed either. I'm quite a bit slower in the mornings than I used to be.
    I'm glad I'm retired, or I would have to get up 3 hours before I had to leave for work just to get ready.

15. Lois Winters

Registered