What Type Of Well Water, Filtration Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Jake Smith, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a similar plan here, and our city water really needs it. We do not have a whole house filter, but we have one that @Bobby Cole put on the kitchen sink, and he can tell you more abut that one.
    We also have the pitcher filter, so I fill that with water from the kitchen sink hat has gone through that filter first, and then we have double filtered water to drink or use for coffee or tea.

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  3. Jake Smith

Registered

That's great y'all use the filtration on your water because we never know what we're drinking these days, and I think it's always wise to be as safe as you can with anything you're digesting; unlike back in the old days, when we drank right from well house water hose, throughout the summer. Those were the days.:)

4. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    When we lived way far back in the hills of the Ozarks, our house water came straight from the well- cold, clear, wonderful water. the best tasting and clean water ever.
    And then Tyson and the other big poultry processors worked hard to pollute and kill the groundwater up there.. Now everyone up in the Ozarks either has their own filtration system or are hooked up to "city water."

That's a real shame, it is. I missed my well water.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I installed a softener along with (2) hole house filters. I use a standard 5 micron filter cartridge upstream, and a sub-1 micron charcoal filter downstream. Water softeners also provide some degree of filtration.

Water softener.jpg

I bought a Brita filter pitcher when I first moved in (not knowing what my water quality was like) and still use it as a pitcher to keep my water cold, but there's nothing in my water that it [supposedly] remediates.

I wish I could install a larger pressure tank, but my well stuff is in a crawl space.

Don Alaska and Jake Smith like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We have city water and it tastes pretty good. The only filter in our house is the refrigerator water dispenser. We get some kind of water quality report annually and honestly don't pay much attention to it. :D

Jake Smith likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Back in the 50s early 60s we had well water, it was a job for me drawing it then hauling back to the house. Not to speak of the scratch marks I got from not holding the flashlight steady when mama was setting the points. Laying on the cold concrete pumphouse flooor was no fun either. Mama used a match book to set those points.

Jake Smith likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yup. Irresponsibility and corruption invite regulation. I've lived through the transition from well-to-public because the county needed to force people onto the public system (and then cap our wells) in order to pay for it. I think my county is eventually gonna go that way.

There are 2 families (brothers and their families) down the right-of-way where I am. They grew up here. I have creeks running through my property that are fed from the spring they used to haul the water from when they were kids.

Don Alaska and Jake Smith like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We briefly considered buying my MIL's house and 3 acres because it's a beautiful piece of land. Unfortunately it was annexed by a municipality a couple of years ago as a tax grab, even though it still has a well and septic tank... no city services. So no, I won't be paying more taxes for services I don't receive, thanks. :rolleyes:

10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

This system https://www.puratap.com.au/ our water is fairly good so we only have the under sink filter system
    DH changes the filters on Jan 26th each year he remembers the date because that what he was doing when he slipped on the wet floor in the shed and broke his hip that required him to be midi vac Ed by air to the city for a hip replacement

11. Jake Smith

Registered

That is a shame Ed, it's like all the plastic in the waterways now. People need to realize what they're doing; to everyone; including themselves, and make a change in the way they conduct their lives.

John Nopales likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

"Ouch", that's not good, so many folks; are always breaking their hip when they get older. :( I'm glad your water filtration is good, it's very important. :)

Kate Ellery likes this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

Good for you, Beth, being smart enough to not pay for unrecieved services.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Jake Smith

Registered

Still looks like a nice enough system to me, John, As long as you filter it some kind of way you should be fine.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have city water but it's full of chemicals and tastes like it, so I use bottled water for drinking, although I'll use city water for coffee and tea which overcomes any chemical taste.