What Was Your First Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Pat Baker, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

In 1971 my 1963 Buick cost $150 ($900 in today's dollars).. Proud to say I paid cash, not proud to admit I should have kept it longer. It was a gem.

2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Got my first car in 1969 while in High School. It was a Hillman Super Minx.
    A whooping 97 cu in demon!
    Was living in Hawaii, where the top posted speed limit was 45mph on Kam Hi-way, so speed was never an issue.
    I put surf racks on it, and got me to the beach and back. Looked just like this one.

[​IMG]

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tim Burr Seems to me I recall the Hillman was British-made. Surprised to find one in Hawaii!
    Frank

4. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica , thought so too. It is very British. I bought it from a sailor on a ship that was heading back to Diego and made the deal on the dock. My Dad found it for me. Guess they ship them over somehow.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We bought our first car in 1991, a 20-year old Gemini sedan. It is somewhat dilapidated but beggars cannot be choosers. My husband and I just wanted to have a feel of how to have your own car. It is embarrassing because when it rains, the roof leaks all over and the back seat would get so wet. The windows are so difficult to roll up/down because the roller is already cranky and rusty, I guess. There was a time we had a guest who is a Japanese whom we picked up from the airport. In the hotel, I had to accompany the Japanese to the reception for his check-in because my husband is left in the car, trying to shut the window in the passenger side. And when it's not raining, it is very hot inside because there was no air conditioner.

In fairness to that car, the engine was quite good and we had used it in traveling to the provinces. There are countless of people who were given a ride in that old car. But when our finances were depleted, we had to sell it. After 5 years, we bought a 2-year old car, a Honda Civic that is sleek and classy which gave us the confidence to be called car owner. As we usually say - this is not just a car, this is a Honda.

Tim Burr likes this.
  6. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

My first car was a 1950 Dodge coupe. It was the ugliest pinky beige. But it only cost me 50 dollars and it took me where I needed to go most of the time.

Tim Burr and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My very first car was a 1951 Pontiac 4 door, straight 8, auto tranny, slow as a turtle car same color and all as the one in the photo.
    My last car was a 1995 Ford Taurus like the photo.

th (4).jpe My first car. th (5).jpe Last car.

Frank Sanoica and Tim Burr like this.
  8. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

1fadp3k23el410090-9.jpg This is the car I just had to buy after some woman rear ended my one year old car and pushed it into another car, so it was crashed front and back. They totaled it and I ended up with this one and of course higher payments and insurance.

9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My first car was a black & white 1953 Chevrolet Bel Aire purchased in Tampa, Florida for $800 cash that I had one in a G I poker game.

Tim Burr likes this.