When Is Too Old?

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I were on our way to pick up some dry cleaning when we seen a school bus being driven by a short, and what looked like, at least 80 yr old lady. One thing we do know for sure, she looked close to 80, if not 80 or above. We were both shocked to see a lady this short and this old driving a school bus.

Now, we have numerous accidents in this city, including school buses. My wife told me, "I wouldn't let my kids ride on that bus with her driving!" Had to agree. This is no small town out in the "boonies" of Wyoming or Montana with little-to-no traffic, this is a city of almost 1 million people and a ton of traffic.

So, when is a person "to old" to do this kind of work? Should she be doing this?

Bobby Cole and Sheldon Scott like this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I think age has nothing to do with qualifications. If she can pass all the requirements of the job she should have it. I know some older drivers that are better than some young ones. I know it is a shock to see someone that you think is not capable of doing something, doing it. I have seen 80/90 year olds teaching Judo and performing it better than a younger person. I myself teach at 74 years old.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I wouldn't be happy Cody
    I think there should be an age limit on that responsible job, especially in built up areas

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

That's fine, but I worked in Senior Healthcare for a few years and I've seen how a Senior's health can go down the drain fairly quickly. We just don't think someone that old should be driving a bus full of kids around. She could have a heart attack or any other serious medical problem occur while behind the wheel and the kids on the bus would definitely be in jeopardy of injuries.

There has to be a limit to certain things and certain jobs at a certain age..........qualified or not.

5. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Tom Delaney 94-year-old racing car driver
    Paul Newman at 84 years old was racing
    Age is only a number not a qualification

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes but they're not driving children are they. There are some amazing older folks its true, maybe we are being
    unfair on this lady
    Can only say, see a 'lot' of accidents, especially driving into shop fronts - all older people

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

True, Patsy. I see nothing wrong with older drivers but maybe when it comes to driving a school bus...they shouldn't be allowed.

Although there have been many school bus accidents and the drivers weren't old.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Have to 100% agree with this!

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's true !
    Back to mobile phones - texting - lack of judgement, common sense, the list is endless
    Some don't even have a license to drive !

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

True..some even have criminal records.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just ask some of the Seniors on this forum if "age is just a number". Unfortunately, many of us, due to health reasons or past sugeries, can't do some or many things we use to do. I know that holds true for wife and I.

When the lives of others, especially children, are put into the hands of a person who is, or could be, to old to do that certain job, they shouldn't be hired. Age discrimination just can't be a part of some jobs. I wouldn't trust an 80 year old man or woman operating a cnc machine or drill press or using a forklift.

12. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Where does poor health, poor judgement, and all these thing start. At what age are you not able to do your job? I would think that they check out people who drive busses especially ones that have children if not do something about the people that made that happen. The idea of at a certain age you are useless bothers me. Looks like age discrimination. If we start down that slippery slope it will be a time when they say you are to old we have to put you down your a burden on the rest of us.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No body is saying "at a certain age a person is useless, but common sense does tell us at a certain age some things just shouldn't be done and some people shouldn't be hired to do certain things. That's just the way it is and many Seniors know that. There are Seniors here that drive at the speed limit or below it on the freeways. In a fast-paced area, like ours, that is extremely dangerous to the driver and drivers around them.

My MIL would back up traffic in the Carpool Lane because she drove so slow. Wife and I rode with her once and people behind us were blasting their horns at here and some pulled out of the lane, went around her and back into the lane. We never rode with her again.

If there are Seniors that can still do some, or many, of the things they did years upon years ago, more power to them. But, many can't.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think it should be judged on a case by case basis. There are 80 year olds that are sharper than some 60 year olds and there are some 25 year olds that shouldn't be on the road.

I think after a certain age drivers are required to be tested every year by the DMV...and anybody could have a heart attack or faint at any age.

There are lots of accidents and most are probably caused by younger drivers, although it was an 80 yr old that t boned my daughter when she was 16. Now, she shouldn't have been allowed to drive because she had a record of similar accidents.

Also, you say she looked 80...she could have been 70 and just aged poorly.

15. Martin Alonzo

Registered

If they cannot that means they are not qualified and has nothing to do with age.