When The Speech Was More Powerful Than The Bullet

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Joe Riley, Jul 14, 2024.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

When Teddy Roosevelt Was Shot in 1912, a Speech May Have Saved His Life

“It takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose.”
    [​IMG]

October 14, 1912

"Theodore Roosevelt’s opening line was hardly remarkable for a presidential campaign speech: “Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible.” His second line, however, was a bombshell."

“I don’t know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot.”:eek:

"Clearly, Roosevelt had buried the lead. The horrified audience in the Milwaukee Auditorium on October 14, 1912, gasped as the former president unbuttoned his vest to reveal his bloodstained shirt. “It takes more than that to kill a bull moose,” the wounded candidate assured them. He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a bullet-riddled, 50-page speech. Holding up his prepared remarks, which had two big holes blown through each page, Roosevelt continued. “Fortunately I had my manuscript, so you see I was going to make a long speech, and there is a bullet—there is where the bullet went through—and it probably saved me from it going into my heart. The bullet is in me now, so I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best.” (READ MORE) (His 50 page speech, went on for 90 minutes!......)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Joe, I never knew about this, I came very late to smartening up about our history, politics, and definitely late in believing in God. I won't say it's better, but I'll say it's good to understand later than never. Too many regrets by remaining ignorant most of my life.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.