When the North Meets the South ... in Cooking

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Von Jones, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband is the cook and I am the cleaner upper. Up to a certain point I never said anything about what he had prepared until ... marcaroni and cheese and creamed peas:eek:. That combination just did not agree with me looking at it. Somehow it just didn't seem right. No meal I've ever had combined these two dishes together...ever. Did I eat it -- only the macaroni and cheese. And when asked I simply told him the truth. And the war started in the kitchen, hence the North meets the South ... in cooking.

Now, I know there has to be some combinations in meals that just didn't set right with you, what are they?:D

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My dad told me the story of when they guys used to go to hunting camp. Someone would have to do the cooking , naturally. He said that if anyone complained about anything that was made for the meal; then that person became the cook ! !
    Bobby and I have some different tastes on things we eat; but it is not a big issue to either of us.
    I love veggie pizza with tomatoes and pineapple. Bobby hates that. He likes the veggies; but lots of meat, and NO tomato or pineapple.
    So, we compromise. We have one of the "supreme pizzas" and then I add tomato to mine, and pineapple if we have it.
    On the other hand; i totally hate the taste of eggs and pancakes together ! If i have them both for breakfast; then I eat the eggs first, and then put syrup or jam on the pancakes and eat that. That way no syrup ever gets on my eggs.
    Pretty much we try to accomadate each other's tastes in food when we cook; but we eat it whatever way we like it; and no matter if the other person eats theirs differently.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

My likes her food to be a bit on the spicy side, I do not like spicy food, so when we fix the food it is without the spicy hot sauce or peppers she like to add to her food, I get what I want then she adds all the peppers and spice she want to the meal. It works out for both of us. Or just decide to not eat it but keep your mouth closed to avoid hurting the other persons feelings.

I don't like eggs not matter how they are cooked so when eggs are cooked for breakfast I eat what ever else goes with the meal and avoid the eggs.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife seems to have made it her mission in life to make me eat pork. While I like bacon and ham well enough, I am not overly fond of pork chops or other forms of pork. It's not terrible, and I'll eat it if it is served, but it's never my first choice. So she prepares it in a lot of different ways, then gets offended when I don't want pork the following day. I could eat beef, or even chicken, three or four days in a row, but pork is a once a week food, as far as I am concerned.

I also like my food spicy and, despite the fact that my parents were born in Sweden while my wife's mother is of Mexican heritage, I like my food hotter and spicier than she does. Most things are better if you add a jalapeno pepper to it. Ice cream might be an exception.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  5. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

That reminds me of when I was in South Korea in the early sixties. In Seoul, there were always street kids vending ice cream yelling "Get your Hot Ice Cream Now!" Don't know why they decided to get hot with the ice cream, but they sure sold me my share!

Ken Anderson likes this.