When Was Last Time You Used A Payphone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Arlene Richards, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I was watching an episode of Columbo last night, and there was a scene where he gives a quarter to a clerk and asks for change so he can use the phone. I checked and the episode was filmed in 1973. So I guess phone calls were a dime.

I had to stop and think, but I think I used a payphone about 10 years ago and it was 50 cents. For whatever reason I wanted to keep my cell line open.

Throughout the years I've noticed that payphones have been disappearing. Of course this is due to cell phones, and I heard that criminals used payphones to conduct business.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think we still have a pay phone in front of the town hall but I'm not sure; they may have removed it. I can't remember the last time I used a pay phone, and wouldn't remember anyone's phone number anyhow, since all of that is saved on my cell phone, too.

3. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

can't remember the last time i saw one

4. I got my first cell phone near the end of 2009, and for a little more than a year before then I had a crappy landline... so I was still using pay phones before I got the landline in the middle of 2008.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Our family doesn't have a cell of any kind for my Mom doesn't want one near her for she has a pace maker. I use a payphone all the time when I need it and glad they still got payphones handy. Our landline went out last year and I had to go to the Tesoro just across the street with a payphone free call to report the problem. It was so scary when you don't have a cell of any kind, but we don't recharge our landline, so there are perks for a landline.