When Was The Last Time?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Dee Roenz, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Dee Roenz

Dee Roenz Veteran Member
    Registered

Seems no one gets dressed up anymore. The last time i actually wore a long gown was a few years ago, i had won a lovely dinner & dance out at this plosh restaurant and inn, or so i thought it was. Well, there were a few others there who had actually gotten dressed up to the t's, but still many who had worn only causal clothes to that fancy place! My gosh, you'd think they would want to go for the oportunity to wear something nice, but some women had only slacks and tops on! not even pant-suits! Anyway, that long gown i wore then has been sitting in the closet nowe since that night, probably never to be worn again! Hubby does not usually dress up, but that night he actually wore a suit & tie! When my brother got married, to my surprise, and everyone else's i think, the bride's mother came to her daughter's wedding in only a t-shirt and pants! have you ever heard of that! i never forgot this as it seemed so odd...now i am trying to win some tickets to a lovely dressup place to even just do some nice slow dancing in my long gown. I may feel like Cinderella again....a feeling i don't get much these days. But it is a shame that this fashion is getting more and more extinct lately, hope they think of something to give us more reasons to get dressed up again, its a nice feeling every now n then
    When was the last time you dressed up and went out on the town?

Dee

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I only wear an elegant dress when I attend a wedding as a sponsor. For ordinary weddings, I wear simple clothes, the so called casual formal. But when I am one of the sponsors, there is a dress code and sometimes the couple sponsors the gown (although I still have to experience this). In 2015, I stood as wedding sponsor for one of my former staff. I used a gown for that. In June this year, I am to stand as sponsor for the wedding of a younger cousin so I guess I have to buy a gown to match the color of the motif. And the wedding will be held in the province so I have to look my best for my relatives there are expectant of me (they think I am rich, hahahaaah).

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Dee,

I completely agree with you, I was just having a similar conversation a few days ago.

I have also noticed that lots of people don't take pride in the way they dress for work these days either if there's no uniform.

I don't wear a uniform in my line of work, ... so I'm a stickler for being smartly dressed for work in suits etc... and for formal occasions I wear dresses ...otherwise I'm perfectly happy dressed casually outside of work...but I was raised always to make an effort to be smart, clean and always look the best you can .

I'\ve never witnessed a Mother of the bride wearing just trousers and T-shirt, I must admit...but yes I really do believe that people don't seem to want to make the effort to look glamorous these days as much as they once did.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Hmmm, the last time I got dressed up was for my high school graduation!

5. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Fun question, @Dee Roenz ... I'm thinking there are varying degrees of "dressing up"... nice dress and heels beyond the "normal" nice dressing up (like for a wedding or funeral), a few years.

Long formal dress (emerald green and glittery... gorgeous and wish I'd still have it!).... that would be 1977. Well hey! :D

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

The last time I remember dressing up was for wedding. My cousin's son got married and we got dressed up so nicely and enjoyed the event so much. This was a few years back for they now have 2 children that's going to preschool. It was such a nice time we had with good foods you get only at weddings and don't have to worry about cleaning up later too!

7. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I am guilty of not dressing up. I can't even remember the last time I really dressed up. I went to my grandson's wedding in Nov and wore black pants and a black jacket (both given to me by my daughter after she'd worn them a time or two) and a pretty top. One of our son's got married in Sept and there I just wore black slacks and a nice blouse. I am embarrassed to say what I wore to my daughter's wedding abut 7 years ago in Vegas. Lets just say I wasn't dressed up although they were. I spent over 30 years of going to church and dressing up. We were not allowed to wear pants to church so I do know how to dress nicely but I don't care to ever do it again.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I simply do not dress up, ever. Unless you call putting on clean jeans and a flannel shirt dressing up.

9. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

I normally get dressed when the doorbell rings!!
    Fast.jpg

10. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Just have a robe handy Ken! :)

Last time I dressed up was for a family wedding a few years back. If an occasion calls for dressing up I can, but those occasions are rare anymore.

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

image.jpeg Same here, Bonnie. My granddaughter got married in Chicago. Otherwise, it's shorts and tee shirt. That's me and wife. I very uncomfortable I might add.

12. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Beautiful picture. :)

Linda Binning and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Great pic, Dave.

Linda Binning likes this.
  14. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Dave that is a nice photo of you and your wife. You don't look uncomfortable in the suit.

15. Dee Roenz

Dee Roenz Veteran Member
    Registered

Lovely picture of you both! Thank you for your comment Dave.