When You Go, Take Your Camera

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

You ought to share them. You may or may not know I bought the camera I use upon
    your recommendation

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have not had a camera in almost 8 years, ever since my daughter gave me the first iPhone. It was so easy to use the iPhone, and the pictures go right into my photo stream automatically, and also are on all of my other apple devices.
    With the camera, I had to connect it to my old computer and download the pictures, which was a nuisance.
    Also, I usually didn’t take it along unless I expected to be taking pictures, and then missed those amazing photo ops that suddenly pop up, like the turkey ones you posted @Bill Boggs .
    Even worse, when I did take the camera, it was often low on batteries, and didn’t work. With the iPhone, it has an awesome camera, with great editing options, I always have it along, and it is always charged.
    Now, when I find those special pictures that I want to take, I can.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I only use my IPhone for a camera now days

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Home grown produce
    IMAG0189.jpg
    On the trail
    IMAG0402.jpg

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Due to this virus thing, we didn't take many pictures last year. Most of the forum members on here either aren't interested, or totally dislike, rodeo action. From the pictures I've seen on here, most really only like "landscape" type pictures.

I'll try and put a couple of photos we took at Yellowstone National Park and National Western Stock Show and Rodeo on here.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

[​IMG]
    (Top) Full-rack Bull Elk grazing in a small field down the street from where we live.[​IMG]
    A little girl showing her White-Faced Hereford Bull at the National Western Stock Show & Rodeo in Denver, Colorado[​IMG]
    Buffalo in a valley in Yellowstone National Park.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have seen absolutely nothing that would suggest that. For that matter, why would that stop you? I regularly post photos of my compost pile. There's nothing more exciting than watching garbage rot, from one still picture to another.

Shirley Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Live-action stuff like that (the "only happens once" stuff) is something I would take a picture of.

10. John Brunner

Man.

I was so focused on watching your grass grow that I completely forgot to observe the declining volume of the boxes. Now I gotta go back and look again.

What else have I been missing in life?

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Ken. I've got some photos of rodeo action that either will be liked or disliked, depending on the person. I know Yvonne could like them, since southern Idaho has some nice rodeos. Could take her back to "those good old days" perhaps.

12. John Brunner

Define "disliked." We don't have a thumbs-down button here.

Have folks posted "Animals are for loving, not for riding" comments?

Susan Paynter likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, here we go: First, I was involved with professional rodeo for a number of years. Had a full-time job in electronics during the week, so only done the rodeo thing on weekends. IOW, rodeo was not full-time for me, or to make a living from it.

There are a few events, and especially one, that some people can get shocked at watching: Team Roping is one. I was in that. Steer Wrestling is another. And then there is, what use to be called Calf Roping, but has been renamed due to Activist problems, to Tie-Down Roping. People who don't know rodeo, don't like seeing a calf possibly flip in the air after being roped, being picked up by the roper and "flanked" (meaning, laid down on the arena dirt floor) and then having three legs tied. The clock stops when the Tie-Down Roper throws up their hands after the tie.

Part of this event came from actual "cow-calf operation" ranching. Roping a calf around the rear legs in a pen, dragging up to the branding fire, one ranch cowboy holds it down with his/her knee on the neck/head, while another cowboy/cowgirl does the branding and inoculations. The only way branding and inoculations can be done. This doesn't hurt the calf at all, even though anyone could hear the calf bawling. Branding has to be done for identification and inoculations are done for possible diseases.

So, there you have it, John. And, btw, young ranch kids learn this ranch stuff very early in life.

14. John Brunner

I find the diverse way of living we have under the freedoms of this nation to be both interesting and life-affirming. I've never done anything like that. The nearest I have come is living with a 4H farm/rodeo literally as my back yard, but I only recall horses doing barrel races, nothing about roping & tying.

I'm still curious: how will you know if people "dislike" your story.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, to educate you a little more (LOL): Team Roping is done in a jackpot arena (practice and money) and in a rodeo arena. The arena has to be set up with an area to hold roping steers (aka Corriente steers, originally from Spain) and a roping chute to hold one and let it out for the ropers to go after to rope. They are specifically used for Team Roping in jackpot and/or rodeo. Barrel racing doesn't need a setup like this, unless it's a rodeo or possibly a jackpot. Depends on what the owner of the arena wants to host.

Calf Roping, now known as Tie-Down, has a setup like Team Roping has.

How will I know if people "dislike" the photos I put on, they will either put me on "ignore" or make a comment against the sport. And, btw, this thread is about photos, not stories.