Where Do Your Rights Come From?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Martin Alonzo, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That’s rather troubling.

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Why?

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Why do you ask why? If you do not care about your freedom, you do not wonder about your existence, then you shouldn’t even have a bit of curiosity as to why.

Now, if someone else asked me why, then I’d be glad to explain it but for you? Naw, you do not care.

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

You said --That’s rather troubling. AND I ASKED WHY Your posts are as clear as mud.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I see no one else complaining that they do not understand what I have posted. Just you and you wrote that you do not care anyway so why must I and others keep explaining about your freedoms and rights and privileges if you do not care?

What is “troubling” is that I truly believe that it’s all a facade. I has to be.
    You earned money, but the one thing you cannot fight is that you know that you didn’t earn your right to make it, someone else did. Someone didn’t live a nice long life like you because he gave his up just for you to do whatever you wish. Someone else died so you can see your grandkids and another person was killed in battle just so you can enjoy your 1st Amendments right to say, “I don’t care”.

I care.

Joseph Carl and Peter Renfro like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

8. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Lon, you say "I personally don't care where the rights that I enjoy come from or originated. Tell me why I should?" Twice you've asked this fair question, and though Bobby has already answered it, you remain dissatisfied. Let me try a different response to what seems like a simple question to me.

Are you aware that public speakers with conservative values are being restricted from speaking on liberal college campuses, and that liberal students on those campuses are taking physical measures to prevent other students from attending any such engagement that is allowed? IF you value your right of free speech, then fairness and consistency would dictate that you also value this right for others. If so, then shouldn't you care about who supports or suppresses this right for our members of society?

Are you aware that the appropriate use of guns prevents more crimes and saves more lives than the inappropriate use of guns by criminals? Can you appreciate the fact that a gun is an equalizer, allowing women, elderly, and weaker people to defend themselves against the larger predators of society? IF you value your right to own a firearm for personal protection, recreational use, or insurance against a potential oppressive government, then fairness and consistency would dictate that you also value this right for others. If so, then shouldn't you care about who supports or opposes this right for our members of society?

Are you aware that 63 million babies have intentionally been killed in America since the Roe vs Wade court decision? Over half of our society recognizes the extreme immorality of this, violating not only God's laws but our own right to life clause in the Declaration of Independence. IF you value your right to life, then fairness and consistency would dictate that you also value this right for unborn babies that are undeniably human beings. If so, then shouldn't you care about who supports or opposes this right for our helpless, innocent victims of society?

If you don't relate to the above examples, I am confident that there are many others that could be raised, some of which you would care about. No matter which side of the fence you're on however, we have elected officials that help or hurt these rights in very significant ways - through laws, regulations, policies, court decisions, public statements, spent time, money and effort. I assure you that the conservative and liberal positions on these rights are quite different and your voting effect helps lead the country one direction or the other.

Conflicting battles over conservative versus liberal values are present everyday everywhere, and many choose to see it and care about it while others don't. So why should you care? That's like asking why you should love others instead of only yourself. That's the discrete point Bobby was making earlier. If you have any love in your heart, you should care about what's fair and right not only for yourself, but others too. And how do we do this? We focus out instead of in and seek to pursue what's good and right - which tends to be Godly things by the way.

If you have love in your heart, you'll care about issues going on in the world, with your country, and with your neighbors. And you'll show that care by voting, supporting, and encouraging others to see the truth in life's issues. In order to do this, you need to know who is affecting these issues or rights and what their positions are so that you can act accordingly. In other words, you need to know where your rights come from and who controls them in order to help preserve them.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The new thing that Pelosi wants to add to the care package , is to make it punishable by a fine of at least $20,000 for saying the pledge of allegiance in schools !
    How have we come to such a point in our history, where I even to please loyalty to our county is a crime !

EF3C453A-1D03-4832-A690-C9CEDCAD20E8.jpeg

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

They are slowly trying to take away all rights and say it is for your own good. What sickness is coming from the left.

11. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne,Yvonne,Yvonne?
    Just exactly where did you gather this little nugget?
    If you looked at your meme you would see that the information was released by the "Dunning-Kruger Institute"
    I fear you are being played.
    Please follow this link to "Dunning- Kruger"
    https://www.britannica.com/science/Dunning-Kruger-effect

12. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

I say we adopt the Code of Hammurabi! :)

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I just did a little reading on the subject (so now I'm an expurt.) That Code was HARSH!!! Lots of "an eye for an eye," and not in the "no more than" biblical sense, but in a literal sense. Under the Code, if you build a house for me and it collapses and kills my son, then your son shall be put to death. damn

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

One of the first codes of Jurisprudence I learned about in Criminal law courses in College. The Code of Justinian also.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm not sure what relevance The Code of Justinian has to our system...but I've never studied criminal law. As I mentioned, I took a bit of Business Law at college and then later via seminars and self-study in my days of doing contracts. The closest I came to criminal law was studying torts. I always enjoyed the subject, as though there really is a place in human interaction that is consistent and rational. But then again, I also enjoyed my Federal Tax Code classes.

Don Alaska and Richard Joseph like this.