Where Have You Had Thanksgiving In Prior Years?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have had Thanksgiving in New Jersey, Colorado,California,Florida, Korea. Morocco.New Zealand
    This year will be here at my Assisted Living in California.

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

One Thanksgiving eve while in the service, we came back in the middle of the night from a temporary duty assignment, and I caught a ride into town to my apartment. I woke up late the next morning and didn't feel like going back to the base for the Thanksgiving feast at the mess hall, so I opened up a can of some kind of Chinese and ate that. Afterwards I went out and got drunk.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've had it in Indiana, in several towns in Virginia, in New Jersey (one year in Margate, just outside of Atlantic City), in Myrtle Beach SC, in Virginia Beach, in North Carolina.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

While my father was alive, I usually flew home to have Thanksgiving with him. Otherwise, I have mostly done it at my own home, which has changed over the years. In the past few years, our neighbor would join us for Thanksgiving because he was living alone but he has a daughter living with him now.

Von Jones and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Same as Ken; most with my family in south GA, or at home in Texas. We lived in Baton Rouge LA for three years but we still traveled to family for the holidays.

When my husband and I were dating in 1986, the long weekend for Thanksgiving was when we decided to move in together. We were dead tired from moving so stopped at a local Luby's cafeteria for turkey and dressing. We had such stars in our eyes we hardly knew what day it was, but I'm thinking that was our best Thanksgiving ever.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I hosted 22 of my family my first year here at Assisted Living 2017. It was held in the private dining room that they have for such occasions. It was the typical Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings.
    COVID 19 has made this impossible now and everyone is own their own this year.

Von Jones and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of my thanksgivings were spent in my own home. That home has been in Wichita Falls, TX, , Hobbs and Lovington, NM, and Rankin, TX, Lubbock TX, and Norman, OK. Two Thanksgivings were spent in the military,
    in Korea. I have lived in Oklahoma nine years and we had he occasion with my son and his family. The last six years have been at home because it has been. hassle for me to get out and about. Anyway, there’s no place
    like home.

8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Rural New York. As a child at my grandparents on the ancestral farm. after my grandma passed, at my parents house,then Mary and I took it over. There will not be one this year,or at least for extended family. Daughter and grandchildren but that is it!

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Both Thanksgiving Dinners we had with family in So California at my SIL (wife's sister) home. It was wonderful and all of the family, that was living in So California at the time, came.

For our first Thanksgiving in Colorado (2002), wife's sister flew out here and had a wonderful Thanksgiving Dinner at her Time-Share in the mountains. It was just the SIL, wife and I.............and, of course, snow.

Since 2002, it's only been wife and I and we've done both, make Thanksgiving Dinner at home and eat out. This year, will be making it at home. Already have a food list made out for the grocery store.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

There is no one but Bobby and I usually, so we will do the same as always and just have Thanksgiving dinner at home with each other. Bobby hates going out for Thanksgiving at a restaurant; so that is not an option.
    In years past, when my kids were growing up (in my first marriage), we usually went to my parent’s house. I would cook the turkey and trimmings, and mom would have things that just needed to come from a store, like cans of cranberry sauce, and sweet potatoes, etc.

After my mom and dad died, usually the kids came to my house so we had a family Thanksgiving, and also at Christmas. I enjoyed that immensely, and miss the enjoyment of having my family all together.
    When I lived in Missouri , Robin was stationed in Kentucky, so she would come for Thanksgiving. We went to the buffet restaurant for our main meal, but I always made a turkey so that we had turkey and dressing to snack on for the rest of the weekend.
    Since we have been here in Alabama, we are too far away to see anyone in my family except Robin, and this year, she will be leaving for work overseas and gone until Christmas. Bobby’s only family is his brother, and he lives in Germany; so we seldom see him at all.

11. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Growing up it was always at home.

Once I was on my own I began hosting Thanksgiving at my place and I have not missed one since.

My sisters go other places because they don't want to cook .. I stay home because I want the leftovers :)

Yvonne Smith and Ed Wilson like this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Until I was around high school age, we always had Thanksgiving dinner at my grandmother's house in Ohio. Every member of that side of the family saw each other almost every day anyway, so it was just the meal that was different, and it was a lot of work. My aunt tried it once and I think they gave it up after that.

Half of the other side of my family lived too far away. Not sure, but I'm guessing my dad and my aunts/uncles in Ohio didn't get off from work long enough to justify making the trip.

13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The holidays were always at my grandparents and after they were gone it was my Mom and us girls. We would always have family drop by though.

Being a single parent didn't stop me from cooking a nice dinner and again family would drop by.

Johnny and I always had Thanksgiving at home but once my youngest son and wife wanted their mothers to come visit them in Fayetteville, Georgia to spend Thanksgiving with them and also to bring his only nephew along with us. MIL drove all the way and I had no problem with that. She had a GPS and we were on the road to Georgia.

We were both shocked when we saw them standing outside of their new home. What a greeting it was. What a fantastic time it was. They prepared dinner, we decorated the tree, went to church, to the movies, other stuff on their itinerary and of course toured the house. Oh yeah, even went shopping. My son spent time playing video games with his nephew and we went to a place where he could just have fun and we watched. He scaled to the top of a rock climbing wall with no hesitation and everyone who was there was in awe. He loved it!

Oh, Johnny? He was on his own. He had to work the day after Thanksgiving, I didn't. That was the only time we spent a holiday apart.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Now that I am retired, it is a whole different story than the years prior.
    In the Food and Beverage business, I do not remember ever taking Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter nor any other holiday off work.
    Mother’s Day, Thanksgiving and Valentine’s Day, [that order] are the three bread winners for just about any restaurant be it free standing or in a hotel. So yeah, that’s where I spent the majority of my past Thanksgivings with one exception which would be when I cooked and served at one of several rescue mission I have worked with.

Nancy Hart and Von Jones like this.