Where Were You When Y2k Rolled In???

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Joy Martin, Jun 2, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Me: I was in my childcare phase of my life and I had a babysitting job for that night in Brentwood for 2 children, parents went out and I wanted the extra money, so made $135 for that easy job....

A friend was so fearful that she flew up to Sacramento to be with her brother's family.

This was an historical/hysterical time in our lives.....

Was it a lot of overkill, fear etc instilled in the world, many many made tons of money who were involved in the changes.

Could it have been a Simple Job to Change? From 1900 to 2000?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was a systems analyst for a large corporation and we were all at our desks until the wee hours of the morning. The hysteria was because so much of the world was computerized by that time and no one could be sure if all the systems would fail at the stroke of midnight. (Older computer programs were written using a 2-digit date code and it wasn't known whether the computers would recognize the year was 2000 versus 1900.)

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was at home bemoaning the fact that the entire world was ushering in "The New Millennia" a year early. Dumbasses.

I also recall when the pulled the legacy government software (ADA) programmers out of mothballs to avoid the disaster. LOTS of money changed hands.