Where Will You Be Eating Christmas Lunch

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Holly Saunders, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Will you be having it at home... with or without extended family? Will you be being hosted by family or friends ? Will you be alone by choice or design?....or will you eat out at a restaurant or somewhere else ?

Where are you having your Christmas lunch...if you're having any at all...

[​IMG]

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

At my daughter's.

Hopefully...since she's still in Maui....going shopping for food on Sunday after I get there.

Christmas Eve we will be eating seafood (to be determined) and Christmas Day she's making her famous Beef Tenderloin.

l can't recall the gravy for it but it's the best part....lots of roasted shallots and cognac and probably some other things.

Also not sure of the sides since she's not home now, haven't talked about the meal with her too much.

She will be a little behind schedule this year because of their trip, hopefully things aren't sold out.

To be honest...I don't care what I eat as long as I don't have to cook it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Holly, for doing a thread about the Christmas meal. Wife and I completely forgot about it, until I was sitting here reading your thread. We will be buying a ham steak and I will make my "out of this world" (my wife tells me) mashed potatoes, along with a vegi, jar of brown gravy (for potatoes), black olives and Pillsbury "Dough Boy" biscuits.

For New Years Day, a ham hock and black-eyed peas. A "wish for a lucky next year" meal.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Hungarians have some New Year's Eve and Day foods they eat for luck but I won't take the thread off topic for that now. :)

I'm not sure yet where or what I'll be doing New Years Eve or day....haven't decided.

Terry Page and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My Honey will be grilling New York Strip steaks and marinated jumbo shrimp while I do the sides of baked potatoes, tossed salad and garlic bread and we will be eating at home this Christmas Day since our Family get together will be held tomorrow afternoon this year.

Christmas Day is supposed to have only a 20% chance of rain and a high of 72 degrees so it should be a nice day for grilling and chilling. :)

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a nice turkey just waiting in the freezer, so that will be our Christmas meal, along with some sweet potatoes, cranberries, stuffing , and potato salad for Robin (she hates sweet potatoes). I will probably make a regular salad, too, and maybe broccoli for our veggie.
    For us, it will be just a laid-back day, and not a formal kind of dinner.
    As long as there is turkey and plenty of cranberries, I am a happy camper.

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

.....and I hope it brings you the best luck for next year and your new home...

Bobby Cole and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  8. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

A miniature feast for one at home.

I will tune in for the Queen's annual Christmas message at 10am and then have lunch around noon.

Christmas dinner will be a scaled-down feast of ham, kielbasa, pierogies, maple glazed carrot coins, and cabbage salad.

Dessert will be mixed berries and whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of maraschino cherry juice.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a big Christmas breakfast; country ham, bacon, link sausage, sausage patties, pork tenderloin, grits, biscuits and eggs cooked to order. Afterward, we open gifts. Then they all leave; to visit other relatives, take a nap or whatever. I used to cook a big dinner but for the last two years, my DIL and granddaughter bring their leftovers from Christmas Eve. They both cook for family that day. They go all out and have lots of leftovers. They come in late afternoon and we have an early supper. My son makes my world famous Peecan :D pie. I taught him well. :D

10. Sir Walter Pasty

Sir Walter Pasty Veteran Member
    Registered

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Not in my living room you're not, where would this livingroom be..Sir Cornish sausage roll... ? :D:p

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have the turkey thawing, and will get it ready tonight, and put it on to cook early in the morning and it should be ready to eat around noonish.
    Today, I made the potato salad and it is chilling in the refrigerator, since potato salad is always better the next day. In the morning, I will make the deviled eggs ; so we are pretty much all good to go as far as our Christmas Dinner.

7D58218F-665A-4A33-A98C-F7F4C19F4A35.jpeg

13. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I will be eating alone in my apartment by choice.

14. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

my granddaughter and great grandaughter and grandaughters husband came over to eat today --we had smoked turkey roast pork candied yams collard greens cranberry sauce mashed potatoes gravy and dressing the dessert was baklava blueberry pie pumpkin pie and chocolate pie and cookies

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I may be wrong but I think "Alone" is the saddest word in the English language. If a person had all the riches in the world and no one to share them with, the poorest person who is surrounded by love is richer than they.