Where Will You Be Eating Christmas Lunch

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Holly Saunders, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have spent considerable amounts of time in my life being ALONE.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Were you happy?

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Food comes and goes...it's the love that serves it up, that sticks to our ribs! I know that turkey breasts are on the menu for a late lunch/ early supper. Not sure what else. Merry Christmas, and don't forget to help with the dishes!;)

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Very true Shirley.
    Our Persian friend came by yesterday bearing monetary gifts for Yvonne and I. He said that he just didn’t have time to shop.
    The truth is, his wife normally gave out boxes of chocolates for Christmas but for the first time in 42 years, she isn’t with him. She passed away just before Thanksgiving.
    I made the mistake of asking him who he was spending Christmas with and as soon as I asked the flood gates opened up and fighting through the tears he managed to eek out a quiet, “I’m alone now”.
    Try as we did, there was nothing we could do to console him or help him feel more like part of our family for indeed, he is and has been for many years now.
    He didn’t say very much after that but said “Merry Christmas” and left as abruptly as he came. He, walking quickly to his truck left my wife and I with tears in our eyes not only feeling sorrow for him but knowing there was nothing we could do to help. Whilst the truck pulled out of the drive way Yvonne and I said a prayer for him asking God to give him comfort and peace because at the very least, that was all we could do.

I called Hosa about an hour later just to make sure he was okay and reiterate our invitation to spend Christmas with us. Turned out, his oldest son decided to spend the day with him and Hosa was even going to cook some chicken and rice just the way his son liked.
    At least, our friend isn’t going to be totally alone even though the person who he really wished to spend more time with is no longer there.

5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

With my family for today and tomorrow (Boxing Day here) not sure what we are eating, various roasts I guess, I had an early Christmas dinner with Lisa before I left Russia.

48409474-296257584339549-6407429437071032320-n.jpg

49172997-368181167276949-3742151107460202496-n.jpg

48426266-732414290473162-7922210715279032320-n.jpg

HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvZU11c1ZoWXVNU3plMC9naXBoeS5naWYlog.gif

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Merry Christmas @Terry Page , is that you and Lisa, last year?... I remember her lovely dress...

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

No it was this last Saturday, one Christmas can look much like another ;) ........ apart from a few more grey hairs I aquire :eek:

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There will be just my wife and I today. Sometimes we invite our neighbor over, since his wife died a few years ago, but his son came for Christmas this year.

9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Mein Frau and I will be eating Beakfast, Lunch, and Supper at home!

Hal

10. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Shirley, you may be wrong as you say, but I find solitude to be enriching, heartwarming, and peaceful.

Vivas to self-proclaimed loneliness! :)

Hal

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

To me, there is a definite difference between solitude, and being alone. Solitude implies something that you choose to have, while aloneness can be something that happens even when you are not seeking it.
    I think that we have a good example of each, right here in this thread.
    There is Lon Tanner, who chooses to exclude himself from eating with other people at his AL complex, and prefers to eat by himself (in solitude) today.
    Then, there is our dear Persian friend, who tragically lost his wife of many years, only a few weeks ago; and he is going to experience being alone, no matter how many people he might be around.
    His heart is broken for loss of his wife, and the rest of the world is just there, but not part of where he is existing right now.

12. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

HUH?

13. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Heading with best friend, my Dentist to go eat an early supper late lunch at my doctors home as last year and prior, RIBEYE steak there good stuff to go with it.
    I am taking them 5# of fresh fish fillets in an ice chest just incase of getting to bring any left overs back, doggy goes also. Zip lock bags and all!

Even going an hour early as to get in on more great munchies. They go fast.
    Taking homemade crackers with thin sliced steak with melted cheese on top with red peppers. (50) may last 30 minutes! For todays' eating.

14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Just had a grilled cheese in front of the TV. .. Didn't realize there was news on Christmas day. :cool:

Terry Page and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Ahhh, but you are not alone. You have Ihre Frau to share your riches with.

Lulu Moppet and Joe Riley like this.