White Water Rafting

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Holly Saunders, May 5, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The limitation is on file size, not picture size, so a low resolution image can be larger than a high resolution image. Not everyone knows how to be optimize file size so I recommend image widths of 1000 pixels or less, as that will pretty much always be under the file size limit.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

None of that white water for me!

Give me a mill pond, with the water as smooth as glass, with me in a canoe.

Harold

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Shirleeee... :D

Shirley Martin likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like fun whether or not you're a participate or a spectator. I would have tried it long ago except sugar melts when wet so I was always afraid.

Holly Saunders and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Bill & Von... :D

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I used to do a lot of white water rafting here on the east coast. I've been down the Gauley, the Cheat, the New and the Youghiogheny (pronounced yuck·uh·GAIN·ee)

For the best rafting, you try to time the spring snow melt so the river is at its peak. We always arrived the night before and camped out so as to go rafting early the next morning. I got stories of keeping a Coleman lanterns going all night as a heat source because I did not own cold weather gear. (All of my camping was for summertime fishing.)

The Gauley was the best because the river is fed by a lake. The locks at the bottom of the dam were opened on a known schedule, often in the late fall. I got off work on a Friday afternoon and made the 10 hour drive to southwestern West Virginia. I arrived in the wee hours of the morning and slept a few hours in my car. Since it was fall in the remote parts of West Virginia, I thought it couldn't get any colder. That was before I got up at 5AM and put on a cold wet suit that had not dried out from its previous trip. All I can say is it was worth it. Lots of Class IV and Class V rapids on that river, some with large drops you had to paddle out of hard when you landed so you did not get sucked back into the waterfall.

There is nothing more beautiful than going down a West Virginia river in the late fall. I'd post pics, but this occurred when the world was still analog. Maybe I can scrounge up the pic I paid for and post a photo of it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This was about 20 years ago. An RV vacation to Cañon City CO and Royal Gorge. This is my 2 daughters, middle son, and the "river guide" (on the oars) on the Colorado River. My husband is barely visible in the front left; I'm back at the campground, reading a book.

co.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

They made us paddle. I should have upgraded my ticket.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I understand that rafting and kayaking in the West is supposed to be really great this year due to the heavy snow and fairly rapid melting. I used to do a lot of that. When I did the Youghiogheny, the U.S. Olympic team was there, but they were going up the rapids and through gates strung over the river. I did rafts and canoes, but never kayaks. Have you done the Ocoee @John Brunner ?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

No, I've never done the Ocoee. And I always wanted to kayak. When those guys would go past us, I felt as though I were in a bus and they were riding Ferraris.

I gotta think those Olympic kayakers were going up the Lower Youghiogheny. No way they made it going the wrong way on the Upper Yough, unless the river was low.

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't recall what part of the river we were watching, but it looked incredible to me and I was not totally unfamiliar with river running. It looked to be 4s if I recall.

John Brunner likes this.