Who Are You in Your Dreams?

Discussion in 'Dreams & Interpretations' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

Ruby, you're probably right about having dreams when I take a long nap, but instead of recalling them like I do in my night time dreams, I just don't recall them. My dreams at night are so realistic! It's so strange how during the day something will trigger my mind into recalling a portion of a dream and I'll try to make my mind elaborate on the rest of the dream, and the next thing I know my mind is onto something else instead. o_O

Sometimes I wonder if our dreams are a peek into a parallel/alternate universe.

Are Some Of Our Dreams Glimpses From A Parallel Universe?
    http://www.messagetoeagle.com/are-s...mpses-from-a-parallel-universe/#ixzz3u8YV1yzc

2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes! I know what you mean about something during the day triggers a memory of a dream the night before. I always wondered how that happens.

As for that link, I guess anything's possible, and I don't pretend to know much about dreams...but I lean more to thinking that everything we dream is a part of our unconscious minds and each image is specific only to that particular dreamer.
    Sweet Dreams! :)

3. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread is making me sleepy and it's 1pm. :rolleyes: Just kidding of course! Dreams are one of the great mysteries of life. One reason they're so hard for scientists and sleep experts to find the reasons behind dreams, is most people have a hard time with recall.

Sigmund Freud was the first famous psychologist to suggest why we dream. I read something interesting, and don't know if it's true or not -- we don't dream while we are snoring! ;)

Here are 15 Interesting Facts about Dreams:
    http://www.boredpanda.com/15-interesting-facts-about-dreams-dreaming/

Sacheen BrightEagle likes this.
  4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Toby, thanks for that article. Very Interesting!

Bobby Gnomy likes this.
  5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm always myself, but the time periods vary. I've had dreams where I was in the old west, in WW2 and in all sorts of situations in the present time. I'm not sure, but I think I watch too many movies.:confused:

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I am also always myself but at different ages but the people that are in my dreams with me such as family sometimes are also different ages and sometimes the ages aren't synced, such as my son might be his present age but I will be young and his mother.

7. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I do my best not to dream. I have always had nightmares. My parents said I would awaken as early as two screaming.

Who remembers Jack Palance? Someone must have let me see an old black and white movie of his when I was very small. I was no more than four or five when I started having reaccuring nightmares of about him. He was always dressed as a skeleton, (his face did have that skeletal effect), and then the dream would change to a black and white pinwheel that revolved as he laughed maniacally.

Of course my dreams advanced into worse nightmares, but I've learned how to get up and immediately start my must do chores so that I have little time to think of my dreams. Like feed my furbabies and take them outside. Somehow the early day always makes things seem brighter.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Last night, I had the strangest dream that I've ever had. Although I don't remember any of the details anymore, it was complex enough, and tied together well enough to be a novel. The odd thing about it was that none of it had anything to do with me. It was more like a movie.

At times, during the dream, it was as if I were inside one of the characters but, at other times, I could see that character, and it wasn't me. No one in the dream even resembled anyone that I know in real life, and the setting for the dream was not something that I had ever experienced.

The father of the person who I was in the dream didn't resemble my father in any way, no did anyone else resemble anyone I know in real life.

In the dream, I (who wasn't really me) was in my thirties and dying of a incurable disease that I first learned about during the dream. There was a name for the disease in the dream, but I quickly forgot it upon awakening.

My dream-self's father was a very successful business person, whose partner was largely responsible for the success of the company, and I had learned that he had made the fortune illegally. I didn't believe that my father knew that any part of his business was illegal. I had learned that about the same time that I learned that I wasn't going to live very long.

In the dream, I was dealing with my own mortality, while at the same time trying to work things out with the police so that my father wouldn't learn that his business partner was corrupt. His partner had been arrested secretly, and these difficulties were compounded by the fact that he had been a long-time close friend of the family and someone I didn't want to turn on, or abandon.

All of the details were there when I woke up but, as I tried to relate the dream to my wife, I could feel the pieces slipping away.

The strange things about the dream were it complexity, the fact that no one I knew in real life played a part in it, not even myself, and that it dealt with situations that were foreign to my real life.

Sacheen BrightEagle likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

For a number of years I've had two types of dreams. Working dreams where I was a sales man trying to earn a living selling some product or dreaming I was lost,usually;y in some unfamiliar city but sometime in a building. Over and over I have dreams of this nature. I usually wake up tired or extremely glad to be home in my bed.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was actually a salesperson, I also had dreams about that, and still sometimes do have dreams that I am working there again, and those are usually not bad dreams, they are good dreams.
    Most of the dreams I have are similar to the ones that you have @Bill Boggs ; except that I am not lost, I am just trying to get somewhere and having a hard time doing it.

Many times I am having to move from one place to another house; so I am usually packing boxes of stuff and moving it (maybe why my book collection is mostly an online one now ?) from the old place to the new place.
    Strangely, some places will reappear.
    I dreamed that I was moving back to some house that I had to move out of in another, earlier dream, although I can't remember why I had to move out in the first place, or why I was then moving back into it.
    But I DO remember being frustrated about this part, and grumbling about it in my dream, that I had just had to move out, not even settled into the new place, and now I had to pack it all back to the old house !
    Even then, part of me knew it was not a real house; but one that was from the earlier dream. It is strange how dream happenings can seem real, and still part of our mind knows that some part of that dream is from a previous dream.

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a lot of moving to a new house type dreams too, Yvonne. Mine don't involve packing, mine are always walking through the new house and finding room after room after room. Some strange looking ones sometimes.

My frustrating dreams that are reoccurring are the packing ones. Always missing something and I can't find it.

I have so many variations of this dream but I'm always frantic because I'm going to miss my airplane.

Terry Page and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't had any memorable dreams since my retirement in April….interesting...I think it's because I stress less. I know I'm dreaming because I'll catch the split second end of it as I awake but it's always pleasant everyday routine type stuff. But when I dream, good or bad, I'm always me. I'm always in my prime. Always. I rarely see myself but it's a feeling and a knowing that I'm in my prime.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, now that I said that above, I remember something distinct from my dream last night. There were several guests sitting around on a sectional couch and I can't remember what the others said, nor were they easy to hear, but the guy on the end said, "I couldn't find that if it was the Marrakesh Express". I woke up wondering where the heck I got that from. I was unfamiliar with what "Marrakesh Express" was but I vaguely recalled the song from way back in the 60's:

Cynthia Gaddis said, "Graham Nash recounts a great story of how he was invited to come along with Joni Mitchell to the Cash home for dinner. No one knew who he was. When Cash said they had a tradition that you sing for your supper,and there's the guitars, no one got up. So Nash said, *expletive*, I'll play. He proceeded to play this song, to everyone's (except, Joni) surprise. He recalls, nailing the last chord, setting the guitar down getting up, and crashing into a lamp. Broke the lamp and the ice. This man is incredibly right brained, his art, photography, sculptures,etc.. are magical."

Nabil Huston said, "Marrakesh is one of the beautiful cities in Morocco"

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Lara, you must have been very young when this came out. I was a teenager from Texas, and I remember being very confused by this song. At this stage in my life, everything was country music.

15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I am always myself and an indeterminate age, and all my life have dreamed a lot, but go through phases of complex dreams that are worthy of analysing maybe, then times when they are about nothing much, just the previous day recycled in some way.
    Last night's dream was about a young boy unknown to me, who stole some leftover chicken I had saved for tomorrows dinner :rolleyes: