Taking Responsibility For Our Own Actions.

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Avigail David, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

''He who is aware of his folly is wiser".

This is quite hard to swallow. But we do foolish things and we pay the consequences of our wrong choices. Why decide on doing the folliest thing (made up the word to mean the superlative) we know is wrong-- we know it harms the body and hurt loved ones, and then, blame others because "they" do not recognize our "true self"? And sometimes, as "victims" of their own choices, they berate on blaming others for the unsuccessful outcomes of what they've done to themselves.

Every individual must take full responsibility of his actions. We would be wiser if trustworthy loved ones can help us be accountable partners with our decisions before making them. It's safer, that way.

Being aware of the falsehood or wrongness of our deeds is the beginning of wisdom. The "fear of God" is the beginning of a slow step towards moving our position of seeing better from where we are in the perspective of Truth.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Surely it is the making of mistakes that makes us wiser. 'Once bitten twice shy' makes for a more responsible attitide.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with @Val White. the act of learning from our mistakes makes us wiser. The capability to learn from our mistakes is what seperates us from worms or goldfish.

Val White likes this.
  4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Some are so much slower to accept the error of their ways and start to take responsibility for their actions. My mom had a saying "use your head for more than a hat rake, think once in awhile."

Avigail David likes this.
  5. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I know so many people that absolutely can't admit that they did anything wrong, and they never accept accountability for their mistakes.

6. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

I think, too, that self-awareness of the mistakes and folly we've done with the intention of correcting them and moving on is a good way to start to begin the next step to a better place. Thank you for all your thoughts.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong.

8. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

“Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands.”
    Anne Frank

9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

When I worked as an IT trainer, I always told people that I didn't mind them making mistakes because mistakes help you to learn. All I asked was they didn't keep repeating the same mistake.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  10. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, that's what I think this quote is trying to say. If we learn from our mistakes then it wasn't for nothing. We became wiser individuals in the process. Yes, its easy to say that we should know right from wrong, but we are only human. Sometimes we make the wrong decisions for whatever reason. But if we learn to own up to our wrongs and learn from them then we become wiser stronger people. Its when we don't learn from our mistakes and want to make excuses for them that we seem doom to repeat them.

11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hmmm.... 'haha' - when did a worm or a goldfish ever "make a mistake"/ "sin"/ "rebel against the Creator" ?

12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

"repeating the same mistake"....
    Some people
    I talked to a few times a year, or monthly, were seeking 'help' for their health, and were referred to proper health care resources.

Those who listened and sought out the information and methods/ supplements/ means to get or to stay healthy did well.

Several who listened, or maybe pretended to listen and kept asking but not doing anything , had heart attacks and within a year died.

Repeating the same mistake is often, or potentially, disastrous for an individual and for their family and friends who might have benefitted greatly if only they had done what is right when they learned it.

13. Jeff Elohim

Registered

"Being aware of the falsehood or wrongness of our deeds is the beginning of wisdom. The "fear of God" is the beginning of a slow step towards moving our position of seeing better from where we are in the perspective of Truth."