Who Owns Our Food Supply

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Not that it's all bad but most of us are eating Chinese pork. Of course that's no worse, I guess, than most of us are eating Mexican bread. Smithfield, the worlds largest pork company has bought up some forty other companies and since 1973 has been owned by a Chinese conglomerate. As most of us in this country are eating bread owned by Bimbo Bakeries of Pennsylvania which is owned by Bimbo Industries of Mexico City, Mexico, who also own a large production of Europe's bakeries. Just a thought.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I feel sorry for the people living in cities where they have know idea where their food is coming from and how much preservatives are in it to make it last until it is sold. I am fortunate to live in the countryside where the products like vegetables if not used in half a day they are bad. and the butcher who lives 100 feet away kills a pig or cow weekly and everyone gets their meat. That is probably why we have a lot of 100 year old people here.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That is a really good question @Bill Boggs. Here's some of the owners:
    http://www.chai-online.org/en/compassion/reality/reality_food_controls.htm

I remember talking about something like this in a post a long time ago. I was searching for who I was buying shrimp from and found a link that said that much of our shrimp is harvested here in America, then shipped to China, which turns around and repackages it and ships it back to our Supermarkets. :( This is probably true of much of our food.

I buy local as much as possible. We have a lot of Farmers Markets here and seafood places that sell seafood that is caught or raised right here in Louisiana. We also have local rice, coffee, etc. And my husband and I grow a couple of fresh veggies most years too.

America's food supply has been taken over by the Government in my opinion too. They pay Farmer's not to grow things and add hormones, chemicals, preservatives....and genetically modify whatever they feel like. Many people are turning to those who are growing organic produce, etc. but some of us can't afford the higher prices and there is also the problem that although something may be labeled organic....how do you know it really is unless you have grown it yourself?

Frank Sanoica and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Registered

China ships shrimp to New Zealand who in turn repackages as New Zealand shrimp. Another: Italy does not produce enough olives for they're own use. They buy Spanish olives and repackaged them and ship as Italian olives, and olive oil. And Con-Agri Foods is now owned by Smithfield which is owned by A Chinese firm.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a crazy world we live in for sure. :)

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

This has been going on for years...and aside from growing your own not much we can do. When they finally released the data on GM foods...I thought...like you have been doing this for years and now you ask our opinion.
    Still will not eat shrimp unless it is from the Gulf coast here and processed here.
    In fact do not buy fish here unless its at least farm raised over here. Behind the scenes every meat fish or foul has to be logged in as to where it came from...where it was processed dated and categorized. At some point they will be labeled on the package as such. Some stores in some areas do this already. Very time consuming and costly.

Bess Barber and Sheldon Scott like this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

We will only eat Texas Gulf shrimp.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is not specific to any particular food company , but I found this picture today, along with several others of how the meat growers are raising genetically modified livestock for food consumption.
    We mostly hear about genetically modified plants and grains, but it is not just plants who have gene manipulation.
    It makes you wonder what was spliced in with the bovine genes to get this extreme build, because it is way rounder in the hind quarters than even the largest beef steer. it look more like a pigs hindquarters to me.
    (This poor fellow was partially clipped, probably to show the muscling)
    7EEC4B93-B831-4559-87C4-7A72E5787537.jpeg

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    That is terrifying! Frank

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

No S !#:t Sherlock...that is a horrific:mad:

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think it would be difficult to sustain that kind of mutation, and may have been done just to show what COULD be done. It is much easier to genetically modify plants in a sustainable way than it is to change animals in that way, since each plant modified can generate hundreds or thousands of seeds each. Although it is done sustainably with soybeans, a "limited crop" (few seeds per plant), it is more easily done with corn, wheat, and rape/canola since each plant generates many seeds. A bull could perhaps pass on his seed to many individuals, you would have to make sure the animal could still eat, walk, and maintain itself for a long period. Very difficult but not impossible to do.