Who Plays Games on Their Smart Phone or Tablet?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems like there are so many games everywhere nowdays that it seems like this must be the game-playing generation (or generations). Everyone from little kids to senior citizens plays games nowdays.
    I am not anti-games; but I do not play any games either, and I hate getting game requests from friends on Facebook.
    Mostly, I block the games as the requests first come in, and sometimes I simply "unfollow" the person if i keep getting the game requests.

I totally fail to see what interests people in playing online games. I would rather be reading online, or doing something that is more productive; but apparently, it is relaxing to those who enjoy games.
    Who here plays online games, which ones do you play and what is it you like about doing it ?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Peter Remington

Peter Remington Veteran Member
    Registered

I like to play the 'classic' games online--especially word games--because I don't need anyone to play with. Bookworm, Scrabble and Beworded are my favorites. I find that these keep my mind sharp and my vocabulary and spelling skills fresh. I also like Chess, Backgammon and any trivia question games. While I wouldn't be caught dead killing a zombie or crushing candy, I do think the electronic gaming choices these days include a little something for everybody.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Bobby enjoys games online, too, Peter, and I would imagine that you and he probably play many of the same kinds of games. I think that he does play some games where there is competition, and he like the hidden objects kind of games, too.
    I know there are a lot of games available for the iPad; and there might even be some that I would enjoy; I just have never looked to see if there were any that I was interested in learning.
    When I have spare time, I like to read, and if I am not doing that, then I am either knitting or crocheting the little throw rugs.

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

A few years ago, I had several seizures all within five days. Two were grand maul seizures. They were so severe that I lost my memory. It was a good two years before I had recovered the majority of my memory. And, I still have periods when someone will say something concerning me, and I will have no recognition of the events.

That was when I first started playing online games. I started with card and word games, and after my thought processing became more organised I advanced to hidden objects. I play at least 30 minutes a day. My favorite current hidden objects game is Awakening, and I've been playing it for the last year. It is the first game I have found that has continuous levels, so I am never bored.

Lois Winters likes this.
  5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never really been able to get into playing games on the computer. I see others playing games but it has not interested me.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Never, but I rarely even play games on my computer. Mahjong once in a while but that's about it.

7. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't really have enough interest to learn the nuances of playing games online. I marvel how easy others play the games at Facebook, my two grandchildren are more adept on that department.

8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a gamer as it keeps my mind and reflexes sharpened. I was playing some of the word games here, but, I seemed to have stepped on some toes, so have bowed out. I play cribbage, scrabble, bridge and words with friends on other venues.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The operative word as suggested in the OP is the word, “play”. I may involve myself in some games but I definitely do not play mainly because I guess I just do not know how to play.
    Throughout my life I’ve been accused of being too serious and it really isn’t an empty accusation because I do take almost everything seriously.

The games I normally engage in are those that serve a purpose such as improving my mental acuity and logic. If it looks like it might put me to task I might try it but if it comes out as being too easy I delete it.
    I did try competitive on line poker but alas, it’s pretty boring and I found that I wasn’t really learning anything so that went out the window with a quickness.

Lois Winters likes this.
  10. Lois Winters

Registered

I deleted the poker games as well. No brainer games as far as I am concerned. I do like certain trivia games if they are bright ones.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Ken Anderson touched on Mahjong solitaire which is one that I keep in my arsenal for memory improvement. It isn’t just a matter of finding like pieces to discard but moreover, remembering where the pieces are on the board for later deletions and being able to complete the board in the least amount of time. One particular game I play is numerically compared to other players all over the world and gets quite daunting at times.

Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Lois Winters

Registered

I haven't played Mahjong in years, but yes, it is great for memory.