Whole Milk Or Skim?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Ruby Begonia and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't drink milk anymore but use real butter and love real cheese.

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Ike, unprocessed cheese is my nemesis…love love love it….too much.

Skim Milk isn't as good for us as 2% Milk. With that said though, I don't drink cow's milk. I prefer Unsweetened Original Almond Milk. Whole Foods Brand has the best flavor. It also has, per cup, 25% B12, 25% D, 50% E, 10% Calcium, 10% A, and 2%iron. My daughter makes her own by blending raw almonds and water, that's all…(I think it's best if you soak the almonds in water overnight).

EDIT: Correction….My daughter, healthyjulie.com. just set me straight. The homemade variety of almond milk have a plethora of vitamins and minerals that are more absorbable because they are completely natural and so your body knows what to do with them. Anything enriched, fortified, or added is synthetically added because there is a major loss of nutrients in processing and preservatives and the FDA requires food to have a certain amount of v&a (?typo but not sure what she meant) to be able to be called food.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Ike Willis and Terry Page like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Just want to get my 2% worth in!;)
    [​IMG]

5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

ha, Joe. Oops…my daughter healthyjulie.com just texted me to set me straight on my post #3 regarding homemade almond milk. I said it didnt have as much nutrition and I was way off. I edited it and corrected it above.

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been using semi-skimmed milk for as long as I can remember. Not that I drink the stuff, but I use it in tea and on cereals. I suspect if I tried full-fat milk, it would make me feel a bit queasy now.

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Me too, Tom. I have never liked cows milk in any form (except ice-cream :rolleyes: ) but when I was young I used to tolerate skim milk on cereal. Now, I don't eat cereal nor drink skim milk but I do like almond milk in my coffee and in cooking (in place of cream, evaporated milk, and cow's milk). I do have ice-cream and cheese though. And you have skim milk…that's why we haven't become lactose-intolerant.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Back when people actually drank raw cow's milk, it was a healthy food, and the Mayo Clinic even used milk in some of their medical treatments for people.
    However, once the milk is pasteurized it kills the enzymes ( which can help make you lactose intolerant), and the homogenization also makes the milkfat into smaller particles and it is not absorbed right by the body.
    When I lived in Idaho, I had a milk goat (and have had milk goats on and off over the years), and the natural fresh goat's milk is very healthy.
    If I could keep a goat here in town, I might still have one; but Bobby does not like milk, and I do not use enough of it to justify having the goat. We did have a neghbor lady who had a milk cow and I bought fresh milk from her for a while, and that was wonderful !
    Now, I use the whey-milk and it comes powdered like the non-fat milk does; so I can make up some whenever i need it.

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We usually use a gallon of whole milk a week. We often by buttermilk too.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually buy half and half for my coffee, so when it comes time for cereal or a drink, that's what I use. I never bought into the margarine/skim milk, etc. craze. I have always preferred the taste of whole dairy products, and real sugar, versus artificial sweeteners.

I am excited that I just bought these jelly bags, so I can start making my own cheese.

Attached Files:

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Too bad that many scientists, dietitians & nutritionists didn't have the right information and now we are paying for it with bad health. At least they are letting us know the truth so we can make good food judgments so we can buy food good for our family. The egg goes through the same thing as milk. So now we can have all the things denied us, to stay healthy, hooray!

12. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Back in 1960 when I got married, my new wife introduced me to real milk. There was a dairy farm on the edge of town. You could buy gallon glass jugs of milk from them. The jugs had a few inches of cream on top. They had their cows checked regularly and the whole operation was neat and clean. Then, government regulations shut them down. The dairy farm stayed in operation but couldn't sell raw milk anymore.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pardon me for being naive but I don't really know what skim milk is against whole milk. All I know is evaporated filled milk as what the label in the can says, same with condensed milk. And what we buy for drinking is fresh milk, that carton of Cowhead that is imported from Australia. We always have that because it tastes good although we mix some choco powder to make it more palatable. Especially for old women like me, we need milk for the calcium requirement of our bones.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We used to buy the whole raw milk from a local farmer, too, @Ike Willis. The cream on top was so awesome, and we skimmed part of it for coffee cream, and left some in the milk for taste; but even when you skimmed off most of the cream, the skim milk still had a much better taste than the skim milk (or even the 2%) that we buy in the stores nowdays.
    We lived in Washington when we first started buying raw cow's milk, and when the state made it illegal for raw milk to be sold, the farmer closed down.
    However, a week or so later, when we drove by the farm, they had a new sign out, which said "raw milk for PETS" and this is perfectly legal for people to do.
    Since then, that is usually how the farmers are selling their milk.

Another way that they get around the law is to sell ownership in the milk cow. You are allowed to drink milk from a cow that you own, or co-own. So, if the farmer sells (as an example) 20 shares of ownership in his cow, and then charges for his labor in taking care of her, then he can have 20 people getting milk from him, and doing it legally. I think they call this a co-op.

@Corie Henson, the difference in regular milk and skim milk is the amount of milkfat in the milk. It should say on the container that it is whole milk, 2% milk, or non-fat milk.
    Even whole milk has most of the cream removed first, but still has more than 2% of milkfat (cream) in the milk.
    If there is no cream left in the milk at all, then it is called either skim milk, or (more commonly) non-fat milk.

Corie Henson likes this.
  15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, that means the whole milk has fats that is not good for us? I have checked the carton of Cowhead just now and all it says is Pure Milk on top and at the bottom it says Fresh Milk. So I am clueless if our milk is whole or skim. But anyway, whether whole or skim, it is the same milk and did not undergo any processing. Am I right on that?