Why Build So Many Shells?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Frank Sanoica, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

One would think stockpiling maybe a thousand would suffice, but 16,000? Sixteen thousand TONS of cannon projectiles, the biggest made normally, only fired from battleships. I'll try to post the pics. Frank
    Well, my photo guy is down. I'll try later.

"The US Army Needs Some Help Destroying 15,000 Battleship Shells"

"The U.S. Army is looking for someone to deactivate 15,000 obsolete artillery shells. These shells, which were ammunition for the Navy's biggest battleship guns, need to be disassembled and rendered safe. According to Federal Business Opportunities, the Army has 15,595 16-inch artillery shells sitting at Crane Army Ammunition Activity in Crane, Indiana."
    The stockpile includes high capacity high explosive rounds, armor piercing shells, and practice rounds. Each high capacity round weighs 2,054 pounds, with 154 pounds of high explosive and a 1,900-pound steel body. Each armor piercing shell weighs 2,700 pounds and is filled with either 41 pounds of explosives or up to 666 grenades."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/060d4ead-f77a-3fb1-8c5c-cc9742392b2a/the-us-army-needs-some-help.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    USS New Jersey firing a broadside during the Vietnam War.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Have I read it correctly that more than 15k cannon shells are obsolete and due for retirement? This made me think that one cannon bullet (wrong term maybe but that's how we call it in our language) costs a fortune here. Am I right on this? That means those more than 15,000 cannon ammunition cost a lot of money. So it's like burning the money now. Worse, you have to spend more to render those cannon shells impotent otherwise they may cause accidental destruction.

But on second thought, isn't there a way to refashion tanks so those cannon shells can be used? Just thinking aloud.

Sheldon Scott and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson
    Tanks like this:
    [​IMG]
    or tanks as in storage tanks? A tank as shown above fires at most, a projectile of about 76mm diam; the battleship projectiles are over 400mm in diam! However, I wonder if they could not be used effectively to unseat Bashar Assad of Syria?
    Frank