Windows Xp

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Von Jones, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My son built me a computer which has the Windows XP operating system. It's sentimental to me. I was trying to upgrade it to Windows 7 but the disc is not being recognized by XP. So off to Google and Youtube to find out why.

My Windows 7 disc is for a Dell computer. I didn't realize that that makes a difference. So off I go in search of either one that is not Dell software. To this date I have had no luck.

I realize that I may never be able to upgrade to another operating system but my question is why is Dell kind of a monopoly in this area? Just curious.

2. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Dell is just one of many companies that produced customized restore/reinstall discs of OEM Windows tailored to their own products. I think it got them a break on licensing costs. Even the more open OEM SKUs were licensed to one machine. Once used trying to transfer them to a new machine violated the license agreement terms.

Retail SKUs however were fully transferable. You just couldn't register multiple machines at once.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Jacob. I've always had HP computers until my son ordered a Dell for me on my birthday. I have always loaded each computer with software that came with them and never paid attention to the manufacturer of the software.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't like Dell and some others (HP?) because of the proprietary stuff and drivers they put in the operation system. When things break, I find them tough to fix. But it's a free market. They can do what they want, and we choose to buy or to not buy. Some people like the embedded diagnostics & repair tools that Dell & others include.

You may have another issue if you find a regular Win7 O/S disc and it's not got all the updates that were available to download along its lifespan; in fact, there may not be a disc that is all-inclusive of all online updates. And updates are no longer available online, unless there's some type of [trustworthy] archiving website that kept them. Plus you need to research to see if the hardware in that computer is even Win7 compatible.

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

HP - Hewlett Packard.

I know John B. I believe I would be banging my head against the wall if I tried Win7 on this old computer. I keep holding on to it because I have some of my Mom's old software that I would like to check out, one being Learning Spanish. She had Windows XP on her computer. The built computer I was trying to find out why it wouldn't read any cd in the drive. Anyhoo, after googling I have a dilemma or a decision to regarding this computer. Letting go can be so hard. :(

6. John Brunner

Yup. Every time I upgrade my computer, it seems that I'm leaving a favored piece of software behind. At least the files and pictures can be carried forward.

Did you figure out why the CD was not working?

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I didn't. My guess is two fold 1) old and 2) drivers. In another time I would be up for the challenge to figure it out but technology has the upper hand now.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

I had to laugh. Technology gets better/faster/cheaper, but it also gets more complicated. I've built (assembled) several desktop computers, but it's been a long time. I'm not sure I'd be up for the task now.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know if the manufacturer makes a difference. I miss using my windows xp. I still have a laptop around here somewhere. I could transfer pictures easily and not be tracked like now. I kept them in files instead of on line or in a cloud.:(
    Then my server company told me it was incompatible with their email cuz it was too old.:mad:

John Brunner and Von Jones like this.