Wine With My Meals & Independence

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Bought a bottle of wine in my grocery store today. Here to fore wine has not been available in groceries stores. Beer has but I'm nogta beer drinker, four beers in the past twelve or thirteen years. Got a red wine, a penot noir, a california selection. I'm saving it for a special occasion, say wheen I sit down some evening with a good book and my feet don't hurt. Hope it's good.

2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Enjoy!

I've always enjoyed the notion of drinking wine better than the wine itself.

In the winter I do have a little nip of sherry or port for medicinal purposes, cough, cough, sniffle, sniffle.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

We've always been able to buy wine from our local corner shops.. even our petrol garages..

I'm tee-total, so it matters not to me, my husband is the wine drinker, or should I say was.. until recently, now he's found something in wine that gives him Hives after all these years ..same with balsamic vinegar, so he's back to drinking beer, and whisky *ugh*

Anyway enjoy your wine when you get around to it Bill...

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

There are those that drink wine and, depending on the Class those people are in, it can be either cheaper or very expensive wine. When we watch HGTV and someone buys a nice/newer house, the celebration always includes wine. When we bought our house, our celebration was with Bud Light. The only wine I really drank, and then very little of it, was Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill (or, as some would call it, "rot gut wine").

My wife will drink some, and a very little "some", wine, but she enjoys beer much better. When I was single, I'd never ask out a lady that drank wine...…..way above my class of people.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I think the last bottle of wine I bought was in 1973. It was in some clunky looking bottle that looked like stoneware, and I wanted it mostly to use as a candle holder. That was a big rage back then.

My "wine stage" only lasted about 2 bottles, because I couldn't afford it back then, and I just never went back.[​IMG]

Hope your feet are good and you enjoy yours, @Bill Boggs!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Judging from our grocery store, I must live amongst a mob of alcoholics. An entire aisle is devoted to beer, wine, and assorted liquors, and there are other wine and beer displays scattered elsewhere around the store. Once every couple of years, I'll buy a small bottle of a red wine. I don't mind the taste of some red wines, but I don't drink often enough to remember which I like so I sometimes end up with something I don't like. I can't drink more than about a half a glass at a time, anyhow.

Bobby Cole, Bill Boggs and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Probably Mateus (spelling?) or Lancers. One of them came in a stone-look bottle that was popular to put one of the candles that melted in multi-colors all over the bottle.

Back when I was in college in the 1960's that was the "seduction" wine. I think the guys felt that if they had to spend $2:50 or $3 or so on a "fancy" bottle of wine, they were entitled to a bit more than a good-night kiss. After a $1 bottle of Annie Green Springs or Boone's Farm, they were lucky if they DID get a kiss.

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never even had Boone's Farm. Sad.

Puzzles like this always make me want to get on the internet to see if I can find a picture, just as a memory test. :rolleyes: Pretty sure it was this one---Beameister---a white German wine in a white bottle. So plain, but colorful, and the wine was good.[​IMG]

winebottle.jpg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope it's good, too, @Bill Boggs . I like the taste of some wines but it puts me to sleep. My favorite is homemade scuppernong wine. It's like ambrosia for the gods.

Bobby Cole, Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Liquor...but prefer bourbon with a shot of cola. However, I do not drink much anymore. But when i get a hankering
    I make me a good mixed drink. I like many wines, however, like grapes, make me live on the throne...so do not do much wne anymore. Beer is okay, icey cold, with certain foods...but to just drink a six pack-um like the hubby- no.

Beatrice Taylor and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not really a drinker but every Blue Moon I'll buy a bottle of red wine turn on my music and sing and dance like I'm on stage. I'm enjoying myself so much after one drink that the rest goes down the drain. Good thing it only happens once every Blue Moon.:)

12. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

I've turned into a real lightweight. The only wine I can handle is a white zinfandel and it happens maybe 3 times a year. We bought a case of our favorite beer when we moved into this house 10 years ago .. Yuengling. Today there are still 19 bottles in that case so yeah .. not much drinking goes on around here !

Beatrice Taylor and Bill Boggs like this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I expect most here are real light weights. In the last five years I have consumed three beers brought to parties or dinners by friends of the Hodges's.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I love wine, both white & red. How can you justify what can be a $100 difference in the price of a 7.5 bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon or a Sauvignon Blanc? I have consumed as a guest, very expensive whites and reds and yes they taste fine but I sure can't taste $$$$$$ difference no matter how the fancy reviews describe them, essence of lemon with touch of cinnamon blah, blah, blah. I pay on average about $12.00 a bottle both red & white.

Bill Boggs and Lulu Moppet like this.
  15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My only experience with "fine wines" was when my cousin was married to a millionaire who didn't consider any wine costing less than $200 a bottle worth drinking. Since I am the far opposite of a wine snob (I'm a wine slob), anything better than Two-Buck Chuck is wasted on me.

Besides, I don't even really like wine.