Winter Active?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just how active, at this age (Seniors), are you during the winter months? Obviously, it can also depend on where you live.

As for us, winter is basically our "dead time". No power boating, no fishing and much less rodeo action. Our weekends can be full of either movies at home and/or tv shows. That is the way it is currently and the way it was when we lived here before. Actually, when we lived in northeastern Florida, our so-called "wintertime" activities there were just as slow as here.

Funny, but when we first moved to Florida, we were told "boating goes on here all year long". Yea, that could be true in central Florida and definitely true in southern Florida, but definitely not true in northern Florida. We were also told "it doesn't get that cold here" and all I can say is "right" (very sarcastically). Seen early morning lows of 23 and daytime highs of 45.

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We don’t do the same summertime sports as you do (boating, fishing, etc), so winter time is not an issue for us, as far as recreation goes. We can’t garden in the winter, but I can’t do that in the hot summer months either, and it seems like spring and fall barely exist anymore.
    Most of our activity, winter and summer is going to the fitness center, which is indoors, so it really doesn’t make a lot of difference what the outside weather is.

When I lived in northern Idaho, and we had lots of snow all winter, It certainly stopped me from going kayaking and lake swimming, and other summer activities. I still was able to ride my horse in the snow, and walked almost every day; I just bundled up good for the weather.
    Although not counted as enjoyment activities, I still had to feed and water the horses and the milk goat, and shovel LOTS of snow. I don’t miss that kind of winter activity even one little bit !

Lois Winters and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

That is correct. Our high today was in the low 50's. Usually though, the coldest part of our winter doesn't happen January.

My only activity on days like today, is going from my art/TV chair to the kitchen to get more hot coffee. :D

Lois Winters likes this.