Woman Made Ricin, Tested It On Neighbors At Retirement Community

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This wasn't one of you guys, was it?

Source: KSDK 5

2. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Someone's frontal lobe is going out. No wasn't me. I'm still working at taking care of these people.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I wouldn't want to make ricin but voodoo sounds attractive. Wonder how her tests come out, if any of her testees fell ill?

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The television report said that one person was hospitalized, but that his condition was not life-threatening. That may not have been mentioned in the article that I posted.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Ricin comes from Castor Beans; the plants are easily grown. The beans are used to make Castor Oil, Ugh! But, Ricin contained in the beans naturally is not oil-soluble, so rarely is any found in the oil itself. The beans softened and chewed, or ground up and ingested can provide a route to Ricin poisoning. 5 to 20 beans contain sufficient Ricin to cause death in an adult. Very unpleasurable way to go however. Don't even think about it!
    Frank

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

You sure it wasn't a relative of yours doing this Frank...you sure know an awful lot about the stuff. :)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Frank beats me in the brains department that is for sure. Lets stay on his good side. :D

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Babs Hunt @Kitty Carmel

Nah, actually, Ricin is one of the many things I never have made. Of the many I have made, some are dangerous in ways other than being toxic.
    During the year I taught Math. in a small-town Missouri high school, I decided to offer the Seniors a chance to make extra credit by building a fair-sized High Voltage Tesla Coil.

[​IMG]

That's a standard Fluorescent Lamp held in one's hand, illuminated with no wires attached, by the energy transferred from the Tesla Coil. It need not be held in the electrical streamers to light up. In fact many in the ceiling-mounted class room lamps close to the coil illuminated as though turned on.

Many parts were scrounged. The primary coil-form was an old plastic flower-pot inverted, the secondary coil was hand wound, several thousand turns of fine copper wire, by two of the girls. Excellent job! I had most of the other needed parts on hand; the school funded none of the project. High-voltage capacitors were made using strong green glass beer bottles filled with salt water, standing in a plastic dishwashing-tub also filled. The primary high voltage source was an old 15,000 volt neon sign transformer from under my workbench. I calculated output at about a million volts. Any pointed metal part, scissors, knife, screwdriver, held in the hand and advanced toward the coil when operating emitted the beautifully-colored purplish sparks typical of high voltage high-frequency energy release. When done, one feels no sensation. A bare fingertip, however experiences a hot sensation a bit painful, but harmless. How can a million volts causing electric current flow within the human body be harmless? I'll explain, if asked. I fear I may be high-jacking the OP.

These kids, young adults, were much like I remembered being at 17. Somehow, they understood they could trust me, and besieged me with personal questions I know none of the rest of the long-time faculty would have ever been asked. The students voted me teacher of the year; the faculty hated me! No matter, I did my best, and quite a few of the other teachers allowed their classes to come into my room to see something so unusual, the whole town (pop. 390) became aware of it. Frank

Babs Hunt likes this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Very interesting @Frank Sanoica Yet out of my scope of any real comprehension.

Of coarse the other teachers hated you. It sounds like you were a true teacher, there for the students and not part of an social or political B. S. so prevalent in work places. Well done!

Frank Sanoica and Ted Richards like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    I surely appreciate your comments! I started out on the first day of classes very nervous about the whole idea, never having taught before, but confident that having used all that Math I had studied to become an Engineer for much of my life did qualify me to teach it. I told the students in each class right up front I was NOT a teacher, but rather an Engineer. They appreciated my no-nonsense approach.
    Frank

Kitty Carmel likes this.