Women And Hats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Bobby, I read about the military requirement, but the military ISN'T cowboy! And, in the article Cowboy Hat Etiquette, it stated how military members are trained and that their training has nothing to do with where/when a cowboy hat can be worn. Believe it or not, Bobby, there are rodeo cowboys that have never been in the military. Not a single rodeo cowboy I knew/know, whether it be a World Champion or "weekend" type, was ever in the military. Look up: Joe Beaver, Trevor Brazil, Tuff Hedeman, Larry Mahan, Cody Ohl, Brent Lewis and others.

What I think is...….some of the folks in this forum need to talk (face-to-face) with either a PRCA World Champion or a Cowboy Preacher, to get their facts straight. Some things have changed since the old rodeo cowboy days, meaning The Turtles Association.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

...and of course she should wear a hat if she wants to, even when she's a 100 years old if she wishes, cowboy/baseball or smart hat... that's entirely her prerogative..

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

So I got curious and googled PRCA.
    This is a very small field! A bit under 5000 participants with another 1200 associates.
    With a sport that small is it any wonder that most of us have any inkling at all about obscure rules and customs.
    I perused their home page including their merchandise area and not a cowboy hat or a pair of wranglers to be found.
    Ton of baseball caps and shirts though.

And I don't give a damn where you are or what kind of hat it is, a properly brought up man removes it when he is inside.
    On of the bus drivers for our little school district owns a couple of horses, and always dresses in full Western regalia. Figure he must be from Western NY

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

5,000 participants definitely isn't small! FYI, wrangler jeans and cowboy hats are sold thru stores only. Also, while you're checking out rodeo, go on the (in Search area) Official NFR Experience website. All of the rodeo contestants on there are wearing their hats inside, because the arena is an INSIDE/INDOOR arena...….full covered. Check out the Houston Rodeo...….it's indoors as well! Can wear a hat inside an airport, bank, post office and other indoor places...…..like a Mall. At an indoor country-western concert, their are both cowboy hats and baseball caps everywhere!

Now that I have educated you on this, and the suggested websites will as well, sure hope this clarifies this for you! :D

5. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Dang! You sure ain't educatin me,bucko! This ain't my first rodao!;)
    As far as I am concerned arenas,stadiums and other large venues are our modern equivalent of the bandstand or bleachers so outside rules apply. Post Offices,airports train stations,ETC are not destinations so travel rules apply.
    I am talking about an office, a waiting room, any restaurant where you are sitting, the counter in a diner or truckstop may be the exception Club meetings,Civic Meetings,when you come from the sales ring into the office you remove your ball cap and stick it in your back pocket.
    The only place in Church any church, (ever see a covered soldier,in any combat church setting?) is on the hat rack in the vestibule When I was a kid I attended old time Methodist Church. My father and Uncle were deacons and tasked with reminding the un ruly where they were. This included tapping children on the shoulder and among others things taking hats umbrella,and other possible distractions to the cloak room...

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It was common, in the church that I grew up in, for women to cover their heads in church. Generally, it was with a small lace scarf or something like that, but I think everyone did it. Today, in the same church, I don't think anyone does. Men still aren't wearing their hats, though. In the Mennonite churches that I have attended, women do cover their heads and men do not wear hats in church. In fact, in many Mennonite congregations, women cover their heads whenever they leave the house, and men generally wear a hat, not just during church services.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First, please don't offend me with the "bucko" stuff. Have you ever been a cowboy, rodeo and/or ranch type? I'm former rodeo. Have you ever been to an indoor cowboy church service? The cowboy church we are now attending, doesn't have any coat or hat racks AND as I've already stated (don't know how many times) young and old/older men and women go. The only time the cowboy hat comes off is during a prayer, but women don't take theirs off. If you'd just read up on the hat etiquette for cowboy church, you'd know.

And, a Methodist church is NOT a Cowboy Church Service! Cowboy Church Service is totally different. That is why there are those folks, ones that love the country living and/or western/rodeo stuff, are actual working ranch cowboys or farmers, love going to Cowboy Church. They don't have to wear a suit and the ladies don't have to go looking "big city". Levi's, Wrangler jeans, button or snap shirt, boots (new or old) and baseball cap or cowboy hat is the Dress Code for Cowboy Church.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

So what you're writing is that rodeo people who are now our age were a bunch of draft dodgers during the Vietnam war? C'mon Cody, get real.

Ya know, you started another thread referencing the word "respect". Women have long been wearers of hats and as it is customary for them to wear them anywhere they go so good for them.
    Men, on the other hand, are expected to be gentlemen and all things applied to being a gentleman are in effect at all times whilst in public. You can't ask for respect if you do not give it and taking your hat off whilst introducing yourself or going inside a building is a show of respect.

Yeah, I know. You like to argue and will argue with a darned fence post even if you're wrong and you know you're wrong.
    Whether you wear your hat or your wife wears a hat isn't the point. No one really, really cares what you do. You can wear one of pink fuzzy thingies on your head that the libs are wearing to their demonstrations for all I care.

Mary Robi and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The guys I knew were some 10 to 15 years younger than me. They weren't even around during the Draft or probably Vietnam. Some were the later Baby Boomers born in 1964 or so.

I don't know what to tell you Bobby! Attend a Cowboy Church Service and see the men in the Service wearing their cowboy hats. Call them what you want to, they don't care. They are in the Service to worship the Lord, as well as listen to the Pastor, who is also wearing his hat.

Does a cowboy hat have to come off when walking thru a Mall? Malls are public places! Does it come off when shopping in a Western store. That's a public place as well. Does it come off when a guy is having breakfast at a restaurant? Guess you'd be very surprised to see many don't. Some might, but many don't. They don't come off when entering a bank, but may if entering someone office inside the bank to discuss finances. Go to an indoor/covered stadium for a rodeo and see just how many men are carrying their cowboy hats and how many have them on.

My thread about "respect" doesn't cover this thread at all. Everyone knows it's "respectful" to remove a cowboy or baseball cap when entering a house, be it yours or someone else's. When I went to a regular church in So California, I removed my hat as I enter the sanctuary and placed it under the pew during the Service. But, this was a regular church, not a Cowboy Church Service where even the Pastor is wearing his cowboy hat.

We are not living 80-90 years ago, when cowboy hat etiquette really ruled a lot.

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ah yes, so because it isn't 80-90 years ago, we throw good etiquette out the window. Okay, got it!
    I think I'll stick to the tried and true methods of showing respect which is to be a gentleman at all times and part of that is hat etiquette.
    Yvonne can do and wear whatever she wishes.......she's a lady so it comes with the territory.

Note: Cody, you have no idea where, to whom and when I have preached and / or worshipped.
    I was the chaplain for an entire carnival show. I, whilst being a chaplain for Reihoffers also preached two Sunday Morning worship services for yes....... rodeos that played at the same time as the carnival. Once in a tent and once outside and ya know what?...., the hats came off.
    I've also brought the message at a couple of truck stops that had Trucker's church. No hats on heads.
    29 missions across the U.S. No hats.

And oh yeah, for a large number of those years, I wore a Stetson and sometimes still wear a cowboy hat. It always came off at the proper time and the proper place. The first picture I ever saw of Yvonne she was wearing what??? A cowboy hat so please quit saying that we've Never!!

11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I didn't know hat etiquette was even a thing any longer.
    Jewish men cover their heads during prayer, synagogue and other Holy days to acknowledge someone above them is looking down. Usually this is a yamaka, but a variety of other hats are used.
    So, maybe it depends on the culture someone grew up in as to when and where a hat can be worn. I can see where cowboys or farmers may wear hats in places that someone from New Jersey may not.

Bobby Cole and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I will ask this AGAIN, Bobby...…….have you ever been to a Cowboy Church Service??? Wife and I have been to two. One in Colorado Springs and the other right here in Loveland. Look up God's Country Cowboy Church and click on Pastor's Page. The words "come as you are" are written right there. The Pastor wears his cowboy hat all during the Service, as does the folks that wear cowboy hats or baseball caps. They only come off for a prayer.

Just how many years ago were you a Preacher? Things change, Bobby. Your "proper place and time" could be different than some other guy wearing a cowboy hat. You understand that, right? If I was to wear my hat to an actual church, I take it off when entering it. The building Cowboy Church is held in is totally different. That's why many guys who love wearing a cowboy hat, go to a Cowboy Church Service in a rented room in a regular building.

We are watching the NFR 6th Round Preview right now on CBS Sports Network and I can see different guys wearing cowboy hats, eating/drinking behind the interview desk. Now, these same guys will be sitting in seats around the Thomas Mack Center indoor arena.
    Another way to see cowboy hats being worn is to go to Official NFR Experience page an scroll down and look at the two pictures. Men and women both with cowboy hats on...…..they are fans sitting in seats watching.

Bobby, just how much more do I have to defend the etiquette of wearing a cowboy hat today??? Again, just how many years ago did you do Truckers church, which is, obviously NOT, Cowboy Church.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

You obviously didn’t read my entire post Cody.
    It’s possible that your hat is stuck to your head too tight and you aren’t reading properly.

You just want to argue again so I’m done.....bye

Mary Robi and Holly Saunders like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sorry, Bobby, but I DID read your entire post. That's why I ask you questions and gave suggestions. If you don't want to answer the questions or look at the websites that I suggested, that's up to you.

I don't want to argue with anyone. I simply know the facts of today, not years upon years ago! Probably one of the reasons the younger generation of today doesn't always get along with the older generation. Some of my "thoughts" are "old school", while others aren't. IOW, I'm both "trendy" and "not trendy".

Actually, my wife is getting a laugh out of this thread, because we both know what we've seen, right or wrong, in todays society concerning wearing a cowboy hat. She told me "they just need to learn about today, not the way it was years upon years ago".

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bottom Line here folks is...….
    If you've never attended a Cowboy Church Service, how can you discuss it?
    If you have never gone to a professional rodeo, and have absolutely no interest in it, how can you discuss it?
    If you don't wear a cowboy hat at all, same as above.

Many of you may think this is wrong, and don't like it, but some of today's etiquette rules about certain things are not the same rules set back when we were kids or more years ago. Like anything else, the word "etiquette" changes. Just look at any kind of "etiquette" today.

Now, the REAL "bottom line" of this thread is this...…...I shouldn't have done it about women and cowboy hats in this forum! But, I do make mistakes (as all of you already know:D).

Holly Saunders likes this.