Women Are The Hero's Movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you like movies where ladies are the hero's? Like, Quick And The Dead (Sharon Glass), Bad Girls, Wonder Woman (2 movies), Alien, Working Girl, Hidden Figures, The Last Jedi, The Silence of the Lambs, 9 to 5, A League of Their Own, Hannie Caulder and others. We've seen all of these and they are all great actresses!

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes. Erin Brockovich, Norma Rae, Steel Magnolias, Moonstruck, Gorillas in the Mist, even Miss Congeniality.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's the same difference to me. Some are good, and some aren't so good, but I don't think the sex of the protagonist has much to do with it. I'm more annoyed with the movies that portray women as so darned helpless that they need a man to do everything for them.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sort of like my wife is, but I love that part of her.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that strong women in some cases are good for us all, but far as action movies where women are portrayed as superhero's push limits. I feel the new age fems took feminism and replaced estrogen with testosterone.
    I also feel society lost from some of these agendas, especially the family. Now our children are raised by strangers and our parents are put in old folks homes to die alone with strangers, while we enjoy the big homes and SUVs that comes with 2 paychecks.
    Saying that I also think women should have a choice of employment long as the cost isn't too high a price to love ones.
    Men use to have to provide for their family or go to jail. Now it is all left up to the woman.
    Although I was one of these women left with 3 kids I'd still rather been at home with my kids.
    I did get to take care of mama till I took her last pulse, she passed at home with me taking care of her after she ask Hospice to leave the first day. o_O. They did show me how to operate the oxygen first and insert the pain meds on both ends.
    I can thank Jake for the privilege of being home with kids and mama.

Women and men are different.

John Nopales likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Hollywood
    [​IMG]

Reality
    (Chile's All Woman SWAT Team in an International Competition)

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It can be absurdly overdone.

I've started the series "Lost In Space" (2018) which reimagines and reboots the 1960s kids' show. So much has changed. Now John Robinson is a resented, brutish, deadbeat (or darned close) Dad and the mother Maureen is a resentful, long-suffering, powerful, super-intelligent, super-intuitive, domineering Mom - always saving the day.

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Hmmm... My definition of hero was different. More like this: "Not the standard dashing men/women facing the gates of Hell. The most heroic are often the most ordinary of people doing ordinary things for a greater humane purpose." - Denis Till, London, UK

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I would agree with this. It's a consistent, long-term way of being...not an event.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I just thought of a conversation I had with my youngest son about the new Wonder Woman. He didn't like it, so fake he said. 'Did you see how she was running? Like she was flying.' I said, 'Well, she was.' 'She's a superhero.' :D:D:D:D

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh yeah poor Don West.

In the remake he's a dumb mechanic always on the make, a booze smuggler who endangers the expedition by hiding his cargo after throwing out important gear to make room. And he doesn't help without asking to be paid handsomely.

Meanwhile Judy seems to have had a different father before John ever entered the picture. But despite being 17 or 18 she's a physician.

Will? Why he was a baby in distress after birth. He couldn't pass the tests to get on the mission, so SuperMom falsified his results. Everyone knows he's just a runt not quite up to par with his sisters.

Don't get me started on what they did to the robot. And then we have Dr. Smith. Now a woman, because a mere man could never be such a sly villain.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Dr. Smith always was a little girlie.

13. John Brunner

"Women of the West" kicks off at 6PM tonight on Grit TV.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

To us, wife and I, Hannie Caulder (western), starring Raquel Welch and Robert Culp, Raqual was a great actress. Even years later, Sharon Glass, star of The Quick and the Dead (western) acknowledged they she liked that movie, because it showed "a woman in charge", which was rare back then.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

I liked both Sharon Gless and Tyne Daley in the TV series Cagney & Lacey (1982-88).

Jenna Parnellson likes this.