Words To Live By

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Ina I. Wonder, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I have tried to live by these words since I was 19. When my oldest son was kijlled in '93, I shared this poem with his nine year old daughter, and we spent the month after he died painting each letter onto the door of my bedroom.
    Of course when I sell my home I'll be taking the door with me.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I painted the butterflies on the door, and my granddaughter cut up a large drawing of hummingbirds that I drew for her right after she was born, because she wanted her favorite picture to be part of this memory we did for her daddy. Maybe I'll ask her if she would like to have the door. She will be 32 next April, the age I was when she was born. She now has a five year old daughter herself.

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that it was in the early 1970's when I first read "Desiderata" , and I have always loved it, too. I agree that it has wonderful thoughts and words to live by, and I used to have it on my wall for many years.
    Your door is awesome, @Ina I. Wonder , and I think that your granddaughter will love having this door, both in rememberance of her father, and because you and she made it together for him, and you painted the pictures for her.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for reminding me of these words, Ina! I have always liked Loren Greene's reading of them!

Yvonne Smith and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Joe Riley, Thank you for that reading, it is good to hear another's voice give meaning to this poem. I read this poem almost daily now, sometimes with tears streaming down my cheeks, and especially when I miss my boys and husband, But this poem always gives me the courage to keep going another day.

So I'll ask each of you, what words bring you peace and courage?

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Deuteronomy 31:6 has always been my "Dentist" Verse;)! "Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee".

Bill Boggs and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I wasn't on this Forum when you shared this tread @Ina I. Wonder It is a beautiful tribute to your son and how special it must have been for you to share the creating of this tribute with your granddaughter. I'm sure it will always be a cherished part of your life.

These are the words that always bring me peace and courage.

Kahlil Gibran on Love

When love beckons to you, follow him,
    Though his ways are hard and steep.
    And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
    Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
    And when he speaks to you believe in him,
    Though his voice may shatter your dreams
    as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
    Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
    So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
    He threshes you to make you naked.
    He sifts you to free you from your husks.
    He grinds you to whiteness.
    He kneads you until you are pliant;
    And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast.

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.

But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure,
    Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
    Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.
    Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
    Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
    For love is sufficient unto love.

When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart," but rather, "I am in the heart of God."
    And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
    But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
    To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
    To know the pain of too much tenderness.
    To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
    And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
    To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
    To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
    To return home at eventide with gratitude;
    And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember hearing it on the radio one day and loved it. I'm sorry hearing about your son, Ina.

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

Have control over your thoughts. Practice to make your mind calm, and focused. Your mind is there to help you and not to drive you crazy with anxiety. Just be in the present and now.