World Elder Abuse Awareness Day

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Maryt Hope, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Veteran Member
    Registered

Elder abuse is a global social issue which affects the health and human rights of millions of older persons around the world, and an issue which deserves the attention of the international community.

The United Nations General Assembly, in its resolution 66/127, designated June 15 as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. It represents the one day in the year when the whole world voices its opposition to the abuse and suffering inflicted to some of our older generations

http://www.un.org/en/events/elderabuse/

old-age-istock_650x400_51465883866.jpg

Missy Lee and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That explains all of the stickers that I see on cars: NO EXCUSE FOR ELDER ABUSE.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

It is sad that this happens. Having worked in a nursing home once long ago...I have to tell you back then at least staff took a beating...literally. One patient beat a nurse so bad she was in hospital for three weeks. Lolo I must say I witnessed more than I care to remember in that place!

4. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother abused my grandmother not physically but verbally until I put a stop to it. It was sad to see as my grandmother was reluctant to answer questions by outsiders so they had to go on my word and the word of a part time CCAC worker.

But Baba could sure sing the blues to me and imagine my horror going to the house and seeing a large chest of drawers knocked over with the contents sprawled all over the room. And that was just one instance.

The whole thing was a nightmare, my grandmother refused to turf my mother out of the house and my mother refused treatment for alcohol addiction. Not an experience I would wish on anyone.