World's First Solar Powered Airplane Made Safe Landing

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Amie Ar, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]
    [photo from robbreport]

The world's first solar-powered plane have safely completed its circumnavigational flight of the world. Solar Impulse 2 left Dubai last March 2015 on a mission to fly across the globe without using a single drop of fuel. It was however powered by its more than 17 thousand solar cells on the plane's wingspan that stretches 236 feet (72 meters) catching the sun’s energy and turn it into the plane's power.

Weighing just around 5,070 pounds (2,300 kilograms) almost about the weight of an SUV or a mini truck, it needed the help of runners and bicyclists to help guide it steady during takeoffs and landings. The single seater pilot plane was alternately manned by 2 Swiss pilots, engineer-businessman Andre Borschberg and psychiatrist-aeronaut Bertrand Piccard who took the challenges of the continuous day and night flights taking turns resting and flying one at a time.

The entire mission covers more than 500 flying hours and cruising at an ave. speed between 28 mph (45 kmh) and 56 mph (90 kmh). Stop-overs were made in different countries such as Oman, India, Myanmar, China, Japan, US, Spain, Italy and its home destination, the UAE. In America it stops in California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Ohio, Pennysylvania and New York.

It landed safely early yesterday, July 26 to its origin and end destination, the UAE.

Related stories from:
    Robb Report
    CNBC

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Yvonne Smith and Tim Burr like this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This invention is one hurrah for the solar power system that I think needed a boost. Despite the hype, the solar energy is not that popular. I think it is not that efficient as to the claims. But this solar powered airplane can make a difference. However, from the looks of it, there is a lot of development to make for it is just the start although I'm sure innovators will think of a way to take advantage of that solar plane.

I think the battery is the crux of the matter with the solar energy. If the storage of harvested electricity from the solar panels is 100% efficient then that will be the day that fossil fuels will be obsolete.