Worst Christmas Gift You Have Ever Received

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Bess Barber, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I know we should all be thankful for any gifts we receive, but somehow, we can get that one gift that we really have to fake a smile for after unwrapping.

I got presents I really love, but I also got a set of miniature jelly spoons. They have a different fruit at the end of each. They are really quite pretty, but for the usefulness scale of 1-10, they barely rate a 2. :confused: It's not as though I didn't hint for TWO MONTHS that I wanted art supplies.

What is the worst gift you have ever gotten for Christmas?
    (It's okay, we won't tell anyone...........)

Hedi Mitchell and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've written about this before somewhere, but my first husbands' mother hated me.. she really didn't want her precious son to be with me or any woman come to that.

On the first Christmas we were married, ( I was 21 he was 20) ..she bought me a long Grey passion killer nightdress.. It was flannelette, grey with pinky rosebud flowers, long sleeves right past my wrists and collar right up to my neck and 3 inches past my feet .. the ugliest thing you ever saw.

She would have been just as well putting a Black bin bag over my head!! :eek::D

4. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

images - 2019-12-25T200953.839.jpeg :p

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we told my SIL (wife's sister) not to send us anything, because we weren't sending any of the family anything this year. This is due to my wife being out of work. SIL wanted to know what restaurant we'd like a gift card to. Funny thing is, she has sent us a gift card to either Outback Steakhouse or Longhorn Steakhouse before for Christmas or our birthday.

Well, she send us inside flag décor of a snowman that hangs up. Wife and I decided to send it back to her, with a note my wife wrote, telling her AGAIN that we had requested nothing sent to us and that we have no room for this hanging this thing. Since SIL husband passed away a few years ago, she doesn't want to hear the word "no" from anyone. Her husband use to say "no" to her quite often and she got sick of it. "I'll do whatever I want to now" is her theory.

Don't know, and, basically, don't care, how she will feel about getting her gift back. My wife, as well as myself, wants to prove to her that when we say "please don't send anything", that exactly what we mean.

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yep exactly like that but in slate grey with tiny flowers..... :rolleyes:

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

A rabbit fur short jacket, what they called at the time a "chubby". It was waist length with chunky sleeves and it was hideous on me. Besides that, it made me sneeze. In addition, I didn't want a fur coat. To add to that, we.live.in.Florida……..

My late husband bought it at a shop that was going out of business, so there was no taking it back or exchanging it. He was so excited about getting me a fur coat. I had to wear it once and hoped all evening I wouldn't run into anyone I knew.

I kept moving it further and further back in the closet until one day it disappeared into another dimension……...Narnia perhaps?

8. Milla Jonas

Milla Jonas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A plastic rain gauge which was about $5 to buy at the time

9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope it disappears into another dimension for you :p

Bess Barber likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

My worst was a second hand purse with second hand contents still inside - from my sister :rolleyes:
    Haven't seen her in many years as I moved to get away from her

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Velour pantsuit that added twenty pounds to me. I looked like a polar bear. :eek:

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I read this story, @Holly Saunders , it made me chuckle because I received almost the same kind of Christmas gift from my English mother-in-law, who also thought that no woman was good enough for her first-born son.
    Mine was a light pink with flowers, and the ruffled neckline and wrists, and maybe at the bottom, too. I remember it went down over my toes, so nothing showed from head to toes, except for my little fingers sticking out at the wrists.

However, I LOVED my big flannel nightgown, and I wore it every winter until it was totally worn out and frayed around the wrists and the bottom.
    I guess the difference might have been because she sewed things herself, and I had never had anyone actually MAKE me clothes before, so even though our relationship was not a happy one, I cherished that she had cared enough to make me the nightgown.
    I loved flannel, so it would not have mattered what color it was, but pink flowers was good, too.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

OH YUKK!!!!!! velour pants are revolting whatever size you may be.

15. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

Awww come on.....you know these are real eye catchers!! :D
    download - 2019-12-26T190650.514.jpeg

Patsy Faye likes this.