Would You Rather...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Diane Lane, May 30, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Buy something very high quality and well made that will probably last for years and was pre-owned (a/k/a used), or purchase something new, of possibly lower quality, that could break sooner?

For me, the decision is usually based on the intended purpose. If the product is something I only need for one project, or will only use occasionally, I might opt for the new item. However, if it's an item that I intend to use on a pretty consistent basis over a long period of time, I will often opt for the better quality used product.

How about you? How do you decide which product to purchase when shopping?

Frank Sanoica and Gary Ridenour like this.
  2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

they don't make em like they used to is true. I still have a set of bath towels and wash rags I bought from Wards back in the 80's. they're still in great shape and I use them to this day. not a rip or tear one. I also still have a Sony clock radio given to me at work in 1987. to this day it still works. including the alarm. also a pair of hiking boots bought back then I still use in winter

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm with you @Diane Lane depending on it's intended purpose...overall...I would buy the used item of better quality

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My dad taught me to buy the best I could afford because cheap don't last.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Depends on the item, I won't pay a lot for clothes as long as they last a season, I'm happy
    As for other items, best to pay for the quality, even if its not as good as used to be .......

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Mostly, I prefer to spend money for good quality but, far too often, I'll buy something expensive only to find that it's not actually good quality at all.

7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It depends on whether I can afford the high quality item or not. All things being equal, I would go with a namebrand well made refurbished product. However, you have to weigh how much the item is going to be used, and whether it is cost effective to do so. Not all of the things I use are things that are used often, so I might buy a cheaper product in that case. In general, though, refurbished products are the way to go in my opinion, because they usually have maintenace that goes beyond straight off the factory line.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I go for the best quality at the price our budget can afford. :)

Diane Lane and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We normally settle for the middle - not so expensive and a bit durable. Even with computers, we always get the middle bargain that the specs are okay and the price affordable. However, when the keyboard of our home computer retired, I bought a wireless keyboard from the Chinese store for $5. Yes, that cheap so we do not expect it to last long. But in fairness to me, our home computer is turning 7 years old this year so the lifespan is just a year or two before it becomes obsolete.

But with appliances, we buy the best as long as we can afford. Our 2 tv set are both of good brands - the first one is a Samsung and the second is a Sharp - both are 40 inch in size. When we plan to buy a new appliance, we save enough for the budget because using the credit card would entail an interest. Besides, buying on cash gives us a sure discount. When we bought the second tv, it came with a free oven toaster because we paid in cash.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm more of a bargain hunter and would go with what I can afford only. I gave up on name brand when Liberty House left Hawaii. Long ago we had money, and I shopped at Liberty House. Then fast forward to now money is tight, so I buy what I can afford only.

11. Diane Lane

Registered

Y'all have brought up a lot of good points.

@Ken Anderson I think a lot of designer goods are way overpriced. Many times, they don't seem to be any better made than other items, and the extra money is just lining someone's pocket. I don't think a lot of companies these days realize that some of us pay attention to such things, and if the quality isn't there, the name won't keep us.

@Corie Henson I think in some cases, you can overbuy with computers and other tech goods, especially if you're going to keep upgrading, although if you have top of the line, you can often sell it and bring in a good amount to use on replacements. I used to do that with my Apple products. Lower quality items just don't hold any value with regard to resale.

I was happy to buy a smart TV when I needed one for the bedroom, but I was less than thrilled when YouTube and Amazon no longer worked on it. Sony/Google no longer update the model, and other than Netflix, it's basically a heavier, glorified television. That sort of soured me on Sony and Google, as well as Amazon, because I'm now also stuck with a blu-ray player (Sony again) that doesn't support YouTube. I used to use YouTube on those devices to keep up with new crafting techniques that I used for the items I made and sold, so it was particularly irksome.

Corie Henson likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

There are only certain items that I will buy new any more. Box spring and mattress would be the most important every thing else would be better quality previously owned items. I always scout estate sales for furniture, electronics, small electrics and outdoor items. Sometimes a neighbor would ask me if I am interested in a piece of furniture and just give it to me. Out with my old and in with my new previously owned piece.

I used to buy new but after someone broke into my apartment it changed my way of thinking about material things.

Diane Lane and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, definitely bedding is one thing I'd buy new. Even couches, loveseats, and some chairs. With the prevalence of bedbugs these days, you never know, and I have enough stress without adding to it that way.

I don't like how everything seems to be focused on how something (or someone) looks these days. Of course it's nice to have beautiful appliances and furniture, but there seems to be a lot less regard these days with history, antiques, and vintage items, and more emphasis on new, new, new, and of course brand names and top of the line everything. I like character in my people and my furnishings/belongings.

Von Jones, Ike Willis and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, Patsy, It's true. I prefer character, dents, dings, and people who've been through a bit, because it makes them better people. If someone hasn't been challenged, s/he doesn't know what s/he's capable of, and neither do those around him/her. Adversity teaches us about ourselves and others, and we grow from it. I think many today are too soft, and don't recognize or respect what their elders have been through, or the knowledge they've gained through those tests.

Von Jones likes this.