Would You Vote?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Would you vote for a self professed Athesist for POTUS or any other Public Office? I really don't think that in this country(USA) a self professed athesist has a chance of being elected.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I would, depending on other qualifications of course. But I agree that I don't believe a professed atheist would be elected.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I would if otherwise qualified. Back when, once upon a time, people in the South decussed whether they could vote for a Catholic. I suppose it has never been and probably never will be, or it has been a long time, when someone ran a campaign advocating separation of church and state, as in, the church is God's domain, politic's man's domain. Keep religion in the church and out of politics. I rather like that. But politicians knew and know, that was not popular in a backward country where some said they came here for religious freedom. A politician who comes on about his religion is much akin to the used car salesman who don't want your money, wants your respect. Could an be athesist be elected president, I don't think so at the present. Could an athesist be elected to the US Congress or some lesser office. Would depend on where and other qualifications, but absolutely. :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. Lon Tanner

Registered

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

(Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2018)—Tuesday’s election will make 2019 the Year of the Freethinker. Once sworn into office, there will be 47 openly nontheist or humanist elected officials at the federal and state levels. “Prior to the 2016 elections we knew of five elected officials serving in state legislatures who identified with our community, and after the 2016 elections that list grew to 17,”

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

Ok, now that we have that settled that, I'm out of here.
    Going out to talk to the robin in the back yard who keeps
    coming upto my window and looking up and dancing
    as I play my harmonica. Or maybe he's protesting...

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am also a harmonica player " HONER CHROMATICA"

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Beth said what I was going to say

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Lon Tanner
    When I first started trying to play I bought a Chromatica, I didn 't really like it; couldn't play it. I stuck in in a drawer, went and bought a ten hole chromatic. I worked with that two or three months. Wasn't playing to my satisfaction, too short winded, didn't know how to breathe while playing. Stuck the chromatic in a drawer. Bought several Honhor diatonic harps. They allowed me to do what I wanted to do. I have played all of Honhor's diatonic harps. I got to know Mickey Raphael, harmonica player for Willy Nelson, he recommended a couple of harps. I played a number of Suzuki harps and thought them superior to hohner at least the diatonic ten holes. I have played several Seydel harps. Now I have a set of Tombos or the Lee Oskar Harps. I would like a hohner twelve or fourteen key chromatic but don't think I would ever be as proficient with a chronmatic as I am with the diatonic. I have listened to Toots for hours on end. That is beyond my ability. Now due to age and budget I am where I am. I love the diatonic harmonica. And I am playing much better than I thought I ever would. Think my problem with the Chromatica and the Chromatic ten hole, I was too impatient, needed some help but wouldn't admit it at the time.

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

I spent hours listening and practicing the Harmonicats pieces.
    MY big gig was playing Malaguena and Peg O My Heart for my high school Talent Show.

Don Alaska likes this.