Wow! No Shopping Carts Thread?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Neville Telen, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Other than BJ's, where I can actually get good prices, I refuse to shop anywhere where they are going to charge me for a bag. We have two grocery stores in Millinocket and the one that is likely going to go out of business doesn't provide free bags. If they offered better prices, they could probably get away with it but, since the other grocery store is literally across the street, why go to the one that will charge you 5 cents for a bag?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's the law here now. You can bring your own or buy them...things like this don't bother me.

10 cents isn't going to make or break me.

3. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

These carts are for taking into the store. Only one store in the area ever tried to stop me from using it, and a complaint to the manager put an end to that. My cart stays at my apartment. When I go grocery shopping, it goes to the bus stop, goes onto the bus, goes to the supermarket, goes into and all over the supermarket, goes through the checkout, goes back to the bus, onto the bus, and delivers my groceries back home. I might add that it greatly speeds up the shopping while in the supermarket. While others are using the huge shopping carts of the store, slowly pushing them about, blockading aisles, etc., mine is compact, lightweight, and easily maneuverable around most blockades and cart pile-ups. As for "lighter weight groceries", my Versacart carries 100 lb:
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/versacart-folding-utility-cart-in-navy/1012011610
    Yes, it says 120LB, but that extra 20 lb will cause it damage. As far as not being able to get it into a car, I don't get it. You go to the supermarket, and use one of their huge carts to take your groceries to the car, unload them into the trunk, push the cart out of the way, take your groceries home, get them out of the trunk, and pack them into your home, one or two bags at a time, (probably making multiple trips). How is that more convenient? With a home cart you fold it up, stick it into the back seat of the car (my Versacart weighs 9 Lbs.), take it to the supermarket, buy your groceries, wheel them to your car, unload into the trunk, fold the cart up and stick it in the back seat, go home, pull out the cart, put the groceries back in, wheel them into the house in one trip, unload, and put away the cart til next time. How is that less convenient?

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd be horrified to have a cupboard full of plastic bags, please take them back to the store
    If you are going 'shopping' how can you forget to take a bag to carry it in :rolleyes:

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Are you talking to me Patsy? :)

I don't have a cupboard full. ...most I throw out but the rest are in the garage. These are sturdier plastic bags....but I still forgot to put them in my car...not used to it.

The few times I have put them in my car, I forgot to take them in the store.

It's just habit...maybe I need to post a stick it on my dashboard to remember my bags.

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Chrissy Cross - I hope you find a way to remember to take them
    The damage they cause to wildlife is horrendous

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'll try....

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I thought plastic was recycled though and that's why it gets put in my blue recycle bin, not the garbage or yard waste bin?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

We have recycling bins and plastic bags can only go into the 'normal' rubbish bins
    they are not recyclable
    The 'should' have done so with the bags years ago, maybe they wouldn't have been strong enough
    Bring back the strong paper bags, is what they should do now

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

This is from the City of Fresno waste management site.....we get three garbage cans from the city and this tells us what goes in which.

IMG_1992.JPG

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Easy to forget , especially if I'm doing shopping on the way back from somewhere and not leaving from home..but my cupboard (just to rest your fevered brow Patsy) is only a very small cupboard,.. however you're right, we both beat ourselves up every time we forget to use the bags..

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

We have the same...a Blue one, a brown One.. and a Black one... ( blue and brown are for recyclables)... Black for general waste... and we also have a Paler blue box for magazines, newspapers, and catalogues etc...

Plastic Carrier bags are not recyclable... but there are certain plastics you CAN recycle, like the plastic wrap on food, and the plastic milk carton or bottle for example.. but not plastic carrier bags or plastic bubble wrap etc..

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Then why do we have to put it in the recycle bin?

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

These are the plastic bags from Safeway....Trader Joe's only has the paper bags for sale.

Maybe these are made from different plastic that can be recycled.....I'm sure they would tell us not to put them in the recycle bin ...if they couldn't be recycled.

IMG_1994.JPG

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yep your plastic bags might be the kind that disintegrate after a while...we have some of those here too... but not all. It should say on your carrier bag somewhere if it can be recycled..if not, then put it in your household waste bin..