Wrong Handedness

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Anything relating to left-handedness would be appropriate for this thread, but the observation that I wanted to make was that I have been watching the Little League World Series games on Sling today, and there seems that left handers are over-represented. I didn't count actual numbers but a lot of these kids are left handed, and I'm wondering if that's the case in baseball overall. I suppose it would bring some advantages, so a good left hander might be more likely to make it on a World Series game than a right hander.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am left-handed with some things, and right handed for other things, and some things, I can just use either hand interchangeably.
    I write left-handed; but discovered that on the blackboard, I can write with my right hand. I use scissors in my right hand, knit and crochet right handed, and shoot a rifle right handed.
    if I am painting (as in painting a wall), using garden tools, or putting on makeup, I use either hand.
    When I started to learn how to airbrush, I had a hard time trying to decide which hand i wanted to hold the airbrush with, and ended up using either hand; but not being totally comfortable with either one. I moved after a couple of lessons, and never went back to learning how to airbrush, but if I had kept on practicing, I would have probably become more proficient with one hand or the other.

Most of the time, I really like being ambidextrous, and if one hand won't work right, then I can use the other one. Although, I am terrible at using a hammer with either hand.

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

My father always admired the people who are ambidextrous and said he would give his right arm to be ambidextrous.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have one grandson that is ambidextrous, one left handed and my mother is left handed. Thats is about 50/50 in our family between the right handed and the left handed people.

5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

In the world of cricket, there are more left-handed batsmen than ever these days. Most of them are right-handed (in terms of bowling and throwing). I concede that my knowledge of baseball is limited, but the grip of the bat and the way the ball is struck is similar in both sports.

My theory is that, in some ways, it is more natural to bat left-handed if you are are a right-hander and vice versa. I am a naturally left-handed person, but I used to play a lot of cricket and I batted right-handed. The top hand is the one that grips the bat more tightly and is the controlling hand, so it seems to me that it is much more natural to be a left-handed batsman if you are right-handed.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was not aware of that left-hand thing, I mean it's not big deal to me despite noticing some classmates writing with their left hand. But what gave me the insight was when I saw a performance of the Beatles on tv. I was already in high school and an old film clip of the Beatles was being shown. I'm not a fan of that group so what's special about it? The remark of my father about Paul McCartney being left-handed with his guitar. And it dawned on me that a guitar is designed for right-handed people (although shifting to the left is not a major problem depending on the design of the guitar).

With the car (we have the left-hand drive cars), it is also designed for right-handed people. But in fairness to the left-handed, they are more creative because, according to our doctor, they use the right hemisphere of the brain which is the artistic side.