You'll Never Guess Who Lost The Rep. Debate Last Night!

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Lara Moss, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

The Biggest Loser at the 3rd Republican Debate last night was….drumbroll…CNBC! Unbelievable! Their questions were rude and degrading and wickedly calculated from the starting gate. But I was VERY impressed with how the Republican Candidates handled it. They called them on it each and every time and got cheers and wild applause from the audience. CNBC was BOOed several times by the audience.

The candidates all supported one another through it and kept refocusing the questioning to IMPORTANT issues. NBC is not only biased toward the Democrats, as I already knew, but they are aggressively using dirty politics of their own to try to bait the candidates to turn on each other and to talk about things like Fantasy Football…yes, THAT was one of the questions asked of Jeb Bush!

CNBC tried to get the candidates to say something mean to the other candidates and they verbally refused and scolded the moderators. Even Trump was careful not to say anything negative about anyone.

What I also noticed was a ticker tape running across the bottom while the debate was going on that were tweet comments from the left and negative info on the Candidates like Fiorina's firing from HP which wasn't even mentioned in the debate. The tape was so distracting I had to cover it up while I watched the debate.

UNBELIEVABLE... but now the media is the real elephant in the room. Kudos to the Republican candidates for calling them on it!

All the while, during Boo's and scoldings, CNBC's panel just sat their with glib smiles on their faces like "gotcha". The media is powerful and will do anything to get Hillary elected.

I'm ticked… be still my heart :(

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Ted Cruz really made a fool of the moderators. Then Christy called them on the fantasy football thing.

What puzzles me is why the republicans ever agreed to let pro democrat media host a republican debate.

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Do the republicans have a choice as to who runs the debate? I doubt it. It's all about $$$. Each of the big networks is getting a turn. No?

Huckabee took them to task when they asked him to personally turn on Trump. Ben Carson also did and at the end thanked all the candidates for not taking the media bait, and of course Trump slammed them too.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course the republicans can decide when and if they will have a debate.

5. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

The moderators were deliberately baiting the candidates, and I was so proud of the candidates not putting up with it. The moderators even kept talking over themselves. Like Sheldon. I don't understand why they agreed to the all democrat moderators either. All they needed on the panel was Candy Crowley to round out the arrogant bias.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

If the candidates have a choice then I wouldn't understand that either. And weren't they suppose to adhere to a 2 hour debate this time? It was 2 1/2 hours or more I think? Hey, don't forget to turn your clocks back Saturday night!

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'd like to see the League of Women's Voters take it over again. They hosted the debates for several years and did a good job of it, stopping because of what they viewed as unreasonable demands from the candidates.

Lara Moss likes this.
  8. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

What better way to show the public what fools the liberal media are, than to make fools of them at a debate moderated by liberals?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Sheldon Scott and Lara Moss like this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been a long time coming. NBC has been biased for as long as I can remember. They ridiculed Palin to the point of no return costing John McCain the election. At the time Obama was so unprepared he could only read from tele-prompters…even into his presidency for the first year. Well, Obama had a huge campaign staff and also took advantage of internet campaigning and canvasing colleges dorms door to door where the kids were impressionable. I knew one kid who had a felony and told the canvaser he couldn't vote. The democrat said "let me take you down to the courthouse and we'll take care of that". Well somehow he made it happen and the felon voted for Obama. I digress.

Anyway, the heat is on and the republican candidates are planning to change the situation that occurred last night before the next debate. I doubt there will be a problem. But a lot of damage has already been done. The first two debates were the same disrespectful gotcha stuff and then the accolades that they poured on Hillary during the Democratic debate was absurd….saying this has been her best year, a year that Rubio pointed out last night was a year of lies (he was more specific).

Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.
  10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I've done my homework and you all were right. Republicans CAN choose who their moderators are for debates. After seeing a panel of all democratic moderators going at the Republicans with claws and fangs I never in a million years thought Republicans asked for that! But now I totally understand what is going on.

Some conservatives in the RNC (Republican National Committee) are NOT all that conservative and will NOT fight the leftist media. They think (old school) it's important to get the big TV News stations to like the Republicans. The truth is, the media needs the Republicans but the Republicans don't need the mainstream media (obviously from what we saw at the debate). If Trump were smart he would run and pay for his own debate and only invite 5 at the top of the polls... Cruz, Rubio, Carson, Christie, and Kasich (maybe Fiorina if she will stop crying about how poorly women are treated…we get it Carly). He could negotiate a network to carry it like Fox or the Internet.

Here's what Republicans need to do:
    • Elect real conservatives to the RNC.
    • Vote in a new chairman that is a real conservative.
    • Do that by becoming a "precinct committeeman". Easy to do. Many empty seats available in half of the states. For instance, AZ is available. All you have to do is fill out a one page form and turn it into the local Republican Party Committee Chairman.
    • Insist on running own debates where the candidates ask each other questions of importance with just a timekeeper (no moderator).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    John Falcon and Sheldon Scott like this.
  11. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Cnn has an article today titled :
    'Shell-shocked' CNBC staffers had long flight home

These were comments made by some of the CNBC staff members about the debate:

"Employees who spoke on condition of anonymity for this story wished for a "do-over" and pointed fingers of blame for the chaotic production. Some pointed all the way up to CNBC president Mark Hoffman, who was also aboard Wednesday night's charter. "Everyone feels pretty embarrassed," one veteran staffer said.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/30/medi...ked/index.html
    And more articles:
    Anderson Cooper: ‘Poorly Produced’ CNBC Debate ‘Made It Easy’ for GOPers to Attack Media

Cnn has another article today titled :
    'Shell-shocked' CNBC staffers had long flight home

These were comments made by some of the CNBC staff members about the debate:

"Employees who spoke on condition of anonymity for this story wished for a "do-over" and pointed fingers of blame for the chaotic production. Some pointed all the way up to CNBC president Mark Hoffman, who was also aboard Wednesday night's charter. "Everyone feels pretty embarrassed," one veteran staffer said.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/30/medi...ked/index.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Very Surprising, Bill Maher tweeted about the debate:

"Oh my God, did I just hear Ted Cruz say something awesome that I agree with? Yes. The media is even stupider than the pols, Who's on first?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Interesting article stating how biased CNBC was during the debate

• CNBC’s Harwood Now Media Bias Poster Boy After Career-Altering ‘Moderating’ of GOP Debate

by Joe Concha | 12:02 pm, October 29th, 2015

I had to watch it again.
        I had to make sure I witnessed what I just witnessed.

And upon absorbing the whole thing and double checking my notes from watching last night and again this morning before sunrise, they were practically identical. Conclusion: CNBC, a solid niche network with solid talent, just performed the worst moderation of any debate — and we’re including all presidential, vice presidential, fictional… the one from Old School (Will Ferrell’s Frank the Tank vs. James Carville moderated by Jeremy Piven’s Dean Pritcher), the one from Clueless (Alicia Silverstone vs Amber on the plight of Haitian refugees) — in American history

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnbcs-harwood-now-media-bias-poster-boy-after-career-altering-moderating-of-gop-debate/

Lara Moss likes this.
  12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw the whole debate while it unfolded and it was so upsetting to watch. What is wrong with high-paid people. How do they make it that high with absolutely no integrity? I'm still upset.

Ted Cruz is getting all the credit and I didn't see it that way. Yes, his tirade was was spot on and probably the most inclusive of all the moderators offenses but rubio, huckabee, trump, and christie ALL took part in putting the moderators in their place from the get go. Rand Paul, Kasich, Carson, and Fiorina were silent about it. I understand Kasich to have a more liberal bent? That would explain his silence.

Pat Davis likes this.
  13. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Letter from RNC Chair, Reince Priebus to NBC regarding the biased and mean spirited way the CNBC moderators performed at the debate and announcing the suspension of their partnership with NBC and also the suspension of the February debate with NBC.

NEW YORK — The Republican National Committee announced it will suspend its February debate with NBC News because of anger with CNBC’s handling of this week’s debate in Boulder.

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus sent an open letter to NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack on Friday declaring that they are “suspending the partnership” because the CNBC debate had been conducted “in bad faith.”

Mr. Andrew Lack
    Chairman, NBC News
    30 Rockefeller Plaza
    New York, New York 10112

Dear Mr. Lack,

I write to inform you that pending further discussion between the Republican National Committee (RNC) and our presidential campaigns, we are suspending the partnership with NBC News for the Republican primary debate at the University of Houston on February 26, 2016. The RNC’s sole role in the primary debate process is to ensure that our candidates are given a full and fair opportunity to lay out their vision for America’s future. We simply cannot continue with NBC without full consultation with our campaigns.

The CNBC network is one of your media properties, and its handling of the debate was conducted in bad faith. We understand that NBC does not exercise full editorial control over CNBC’s journalistic approach. However, the network is an arm of your organization, and we need to ensure there is not a repeat performance.

CNBC billed the debate as one that would focus on “the key issues that matter to all voters—job growth, taxes, technology, retirement and the health of our national economy.” That was not the case. Before the debate, the candidates were promised an opening question on economic or financial matters. That was not the case. Candidates were promised that speaking time would be carefully monitored to ensure fairness. That was not the case. Questions were inaccurate or downright offensive. The first question directed to one of our candidates asked if he was running a comic book version of a presidential campaign, hardly in the spirit of how the debate was billed.

“While debates are meant to include tough questions and contrast candidates’ visions and policies for the future of America, CNBC’s moderators engaged in a series of ‘gotcha’ questions, petty and mean-spirited in tone, and designed to embarrass our candidates,” Priebus wrote.

“What took place Wednesday night was not an attempt to give the American people a greater understanding of our candidates’ policies and ideas,” he wrote.

Priebus said that while he understood “NBC does not exercise full editorial control over CNBC’s journalistic approach… the network is an arm of your organization, and we need to ensure there is not a repeat performance.”

NBC said in a statement it “will work in good faith to resolve this matter.”

CNBC and NBC News are divisions of NBCUniversal, a media company owned by Comcast. They operate out of two different buildings and have different management teams, but they do collaborate on news gathering and reporting. As chairman of NBC News, Lack oversees NBC and MSNBC, but not CNBC.

NBC is scheduled to hold a GOP debate on Feb. 26 in Houston with Telemundo and National Review as partners. Priebus said the RNC would ensure that National Review remains part of the debate, but did not mention Telemundo.

“We still fully intend to have a debate on that day, and will ensure that National Review remains part of it,” Priebus wrote.

“This is a disappointing development,” NBC News said in a statement. “However, along with our debate broadcast partners at Telemundo we will work in good faith to resolve this matter with the Republican Party.”

Yvonne Smith and Sheldon Scott like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Carson's "They know" comment was good, and well played.

Here's a good synopsis.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That's true Ken but it was the audience that first booed the moderators before Carson said "They know". That just seemed to me to be an acknowledgement of the audience's bold move to boo and a relief on Carson's part not to have to answer the question any further. Don't get me wrong, I like Carson and respect him but he wasn't one of the courageous ones up there.

You know, I started this thread calling the moderators the losers of the debate before I ever heard it in the media. I missed my calling ;)

Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.