Your Favorite Job

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Charlene Marolf, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Charlene Marolf

Charlene Marolf Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My favorite job was as a fork lift driver.

I cried when I found out I had to learn to drive one. It became my favorite part of the job. And I was a kick butt fork lift driver lol.

There were about 500 people in my company, and only about 50 women, so there weren't too many that drove trucks. I'm rather proud of myself. I could put stuff up in the high rafters and set them down on a dime. Yep, I'm braggin'. I was so scared in the beginning, and I conquered it and it was a great feeling. I wish I could still do it.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

You're allowed to brag on a job well done, @Charlene Marolf . It's very satisfying, isn't it?

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a job as the entire advertising department of a grocery supply firm. This was back in the days when "cut and paste" was accomplished with an "image book", two large bulky typewriters that printed out two different sizes of large print, a pair of scissors and a big pot of paste.

They'd give me the list of "specials" for the week. I'd paste up camera ready sheets, copy them onto a lithograph plate and run 110 copies on a printing press. All the sheets would be compiled and sent on Friday to 110 small grocery stores. In turn, they would submit them to their local small newspapers for the following week's grocery ads.

The following Monday, it would start all over again.

When I was studying journalism, it wasn't quite what I had in mind for a career, but it was actually fun. I felt creative. It was like being back in first grade art class, but being paid for it.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter was once middle management within a Big Pharma company, and aside from those that worked on the shop floor she took a health and safety course and while on that she learned how to drive a fork lift truck!! She didn't need to use it as part of her job, but if ever she needed to move one in an emergency she could do it..I think she still has that certificate..lol

6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

At one point in my life I drove a school bus and I loved it. I drove kindergarten thru high school and ski trips in the winter.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Favorite job...…..a Materials Coordinator for a Senior Healthcare Company in Denver, CO. The Department I worked in was being formed, when I first started. I helped the Director/Supervisor set up the warehouse and Inventory. I had a lot of previous experience in both. I was also his Assistant in Purchasing and Inventory Management. Also had previous experience in both of those. Had my own office, computer and phone. I had spent literally years working in Shipping, Receiving, Warehouse and Stockroom and was extremely glad to finally work in an office environment.

One of the first forklifts I drove was a gas one. There was a gas pump on the property the company was on. At that time, no certificate was needed, let alone required. It wasn't until 1992, working for an Engineering Company, did I go through a Clark Forklift 1-day Certificate Program and got one. I've used a gas, propane and electric forklifts, both the stand-up and sit-down types.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

My days in law enforcement would go #1 So different every day in a time prior to PC. A job I could not wait to go to daily.

Marie Mallery and Lois Winters like this.
  9. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Definitely my job as a gondolier and park guide in an English landscape garden near my hometown in Germany which I wrote about here recently.
    There were more people in a boat than nowadays. The number has been reduced to give them more space so that even girls can do it nowadays. ;) The rowing boats (not Venetian-style gondolas) are quite heavy especially when it's windy and they need to be manoeuvred through narrow canals. l loved my job. I really did. And I learned a lot.
    It's always funny when I'm back at my old workplace at least once a year (the last time in May this year) and take one of the ferries (which are also there and which you have to take sooner or later if you don't want to walk endlessly) to cross the lake. Often the ferryman or woman would start explaining things to me about the park not knowing that they are talking to someone who could do their job. I don't reveal myself, though, and listen patiently and tip them even before they get me to the other side. :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Perhaps my #2 job favorite would be my 2+ years in EMS. Worked for three different ambulance companies as a Driver and Attendant, as well as along side the L.A.P.D., L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. and other local law enforcement agencies. Back then, later 70's, the Paramedic Program was just getting into full swing at Harbor General Hospital in Torrance, Calif.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't really say I had a favorite because I enjoyed ALL the jobs I had or would not have done them. Life is too short to do a job you don't like.

Charlene Marolf likes this.
  12. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

That was one of the requirements of my wife's bid job of plant mechanic. She too enjoyed knowing it took skill to operate the various kinds she used. Going from production line to the variety of that job made a big difference to her.

13. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite job was field mechanic on heavy equipment. No direct supervision, no idea what each day might bring to fix. Only draw back was freezing cold. Zero or below not a fun time to work outside, but went with the job.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, you were lucky. Plenty of people have to go to jobs they hate because they have no other options. Life is also too short to go without necessities because you're too prissy to work at a less-than-optimal job.

15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry Beth---People still have choices
    Prissy?? How about discerning?