Your Favourite Christmas

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Patsy Faye, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

My favourite, was when I was fostered by an Italian family. They were a proper family with a beautiful
    dog too. It was so special to me to be part of that family for a while
    Will never forget
    Have you a favourite ?

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I've been married, every Christmas is my favorite..........she makes it that way. :D

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Buon Natale, Patsy!;)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

2011.....The Year I Bought Every Family In Town, A New Car
    I don’t like to “toot my own horn”….but….the year 2011 was coming to a close. It had been a good year and as I thought about our little town, I had the idea that since most of the folks had old cars or none at all, I would do something about it.

Then and there I promised myself that I would park a new car in front of every house! Now as I said our town is very small, and the townsfolk are a quiet bunch. They are quite happy, just to be here! Truth be told, they don't drive much to speak of, and the little train still comes through town on occasion, so just maybe this idea would perk up the whole town.

So, one cold December day, five years ago, I headed out to buy 12 new cars. The very first place I stopped at had what I wanted. A twelve pack of metal die-cast cars. A real variety of colors and styles....something for everyone! They were a bargain too...it is only modesty that keeps me from disclosing the total sticker price!

Well, when I got them back to town, first thing I had to do was to collect and dispose of the old cars, and very carefully divvy up the new "wheels" in a way that would be pleasing to all. After I had finished, I stood back and I found out that I had been right...It did perk up the whole town. Well it will be five years since then, and I have not heard a word of complaint...or thanks for that matter, but the act was meant to be anonymous after all. They all still have low mileage, and their new car shine...especially when the tree lights are turned on!

Oh, and I almost forgot...I had a little left in the kitty...enough to buy a new school bus for the town's little school! All in all, the Christmas of 2011 was one of the Town's best! .....and Oprah had nothing to do with it!
    Our Town.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ooo Grazie Joe and lo stesso per voi :)

Holly Saunders and Joe Riley like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ha ha - you're a good 'un Joe and no mistake :D
    @Joe Riley

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't have any particular Christmas that was a favorite; but when I was growing up, every Christmas was wonderful and a magical time for me.
    My folks had oldtime ornaments, some that my grandmother had brought over with her from Germany at the turn of the century (1901), and ones that my mom and dad had collected over the years, and even a cardboard parrot that my dad had colored with crayons when he was about 5-6 years old.
    There was the old wooden church that also came over from Germany, and it played "Silent Night" with its little music box, and had red cellophane windows. It sat on the top of the buffet every Christmas time.
    The tree was one that my dad found out in the deep forest, cut down and brought home for us on the top of his big power-line truck. It was decorated with the old ornaments, and lit up with Bubble Lights that twinkled in all sorts of beautiful colors.
    Underneath the Christmas tree was an oldtime village that was lit by a string of Christmas lights that poked through the back of each little house and church in the village. The different colored bulbs made each house stand out and we always matched up the colors of the light bulbs for each house that looked the best.
    On the very top of the tree was (of course) the beautiful angel with her spun-glass platinum hair, and beautiful long gown. She also had a little bulb behind her that glowed with a golden light, and a little wand in her hand that had a star on the end that was also lit up in gold.
    I loved the Christmas trees, and at night, we had the house lights turned off and just enjoyed the beauty of the tree with the tinsel twinkling and the bubble lights bubbling. We always left it up past New Years, and often it was there until my birthday, which came in January .
    I think that my mom and dad enjoyed the Christmas season as much as I did, and I am glad to have this in my memories that they created for me as a child.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

I can picture the scene so well - beautifully painted - sounds perfect to me :)
    @Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

When my ex was promoted with Piccadilly Cafeterias that promotion moved us back home to Louisiana. Baton Rouge became our home City and there for the first time we bought our first home big enough to have our whole Family over for Christmas. When I say whole Family, I mean siblings, nieces and nephews, Aunts and Uncles....any and all Family that could make it. We cooked all the meats and seafood and vegetable pear rice dressing while everyone else brought their favorite sides and their own drinks. I asked that no one bring dessert because I had the Bakery at Walmart make me the largest sheet cake they made with a filling of bavarian creme and what I call cool whip icing. It was beautifully decorated with red pointsettas and green trim...and written on our Christmas cake was Happy Birthday Jesus. Our home had a formal dining room which we hadn't filled with any furniture yet, so we rented a bunch of banquet tables and chairs and set them up so everyone would have a place to sit and eat. Even with what we rented so many Family members ended up coming that we had to eat in two shifts....the children first and then the adults. The day was sunny and not to cold so everyone was outside as often as they were inside. I had my daughters help me make Christmas goodie bags filled with candy and baked cookies, etc. for each of our guests. And we all enjoyed decorating our home and tree in all the colors of Christmas. It was the first time I ever had been able to invite my whole Family to come and share a meal with us. It was a dream come true for me and a cherished time with Family. The picture is with my Mom and sisters that Christmas.
    005.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.