Your Thoughts On Le Droit A L'oubli?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Mari North, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Given that there is, as you say, "a shooting every single day," I can't understand your compulsion for making sure that no one ever shoots back. That doesn't make sense. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. I don't live in a state where people are being shot regularly. I don't know that anyone has done the math, but the police have probably shot more people in Maine than all the civilians combined. We don't have a lot of home invasions because nearly every household has a gun and on the street, there's a very good chance that the person someone might be thinking of robbing is carrying.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I do live in a state where there is a shooting every day. A lot is gangs and a lot is people that you know shooting you so shooting back isn't that simple.

Even if you have a gun, you will be the one caught off guard and shot first.

The chances of a home invasion in my neighborhood are slim to none. The chance of a drunk husband shooting a wife are greater.

Or the case of the mother shooting her 2 daughters to get even with her husband. This morning I read where someone shot 2 people in a hospital in Florida. Every day someone is shot because of some grudge or anger issue. And those are unexpected so a few will die before anyone gets a chance to kill him or her.

Self defense is rarely an issue. Very few people are shot because of that. It's all the other scenarios
    And in those scenarios you don't know it's coming.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. Ken Anderson

That wouldn't be a problem for me. I'd move.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't understand your reply, Ken? I'm not afraid in my neighborhood. I don't go where there are gangs but you can't escape the person who went crazy and those are the only ones I fear shooting me.

The reality of that is they have the element of surprise and I would be dead before I got the gun out of my purse.

I was always for owning a gun for self defense and hunting but I'm seeing a whole new type of gun right activist emerging lately and that's what I don't like.

I don't like the idea of vigilantes forming or militia type groups. That's what changing my view.

This whole anti government type of movement and talk and these people having guns is scary.

These people are doing the same thing that you mentioned in your other topic.

1.The government is out to get you and your guns.

2.They will declare martial law and we will be at their mercy.

3. We must have guns! Guns are good!

5. Ken Anderson

My point is that people are far less likely to decide to break into someone's house when they have every reason to believe that the residents are armed, and know how to use their weapons, and they are less likely to accost someone in the street if they don't have reason to believe that the streets are populated by helpless victims. That's why mass shootings take place in schools, churches, and other places where the good guys are helpless victims. This is why the levels of gun violence are usually higher in cities that have strict gun control. If you live in a safe area, fine. But as you say yourself, that is not the case throughout much of your state. The police are very good at responding to shootings that have already taken place, but not so good at preventing them. I'm in favor of the good guys being able to shoot back.

The reason that black bears are not particularly dangerous in Maine is that they have learned to fear human beings. I think that works with people, too. I see nothing wrong with a situation where the bad guys have reason to fear the good guys.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't know who's armed or unarmed in my neighborhood, many have security systems that's all I know.

Having a gun won't deter a break in. Most try to break in when nobody is home. How do they know you have a gun? Do you advertise it?

We had a gun in an apt in Chicago and while we were at my husband's aunt's funeral they broke in and stole it...also a few rifles. They check obits to see if you are home. That gun was returned to my husband many years later, after it was used in a crime. A lovers triangle. He got it back after the trial. Think there was dried blood on it still.

Bottom line...fine for defense but what's scaring many is the pro gun and hateful rhetoric that goes with it.
    They seem to be the most intolerant group. Intolerance and guns don't mix well.

Just trying to let you see or understand that in my opinion, the talk of the far right on guns is having the opposite of it's intended affect.

I'm stating the truth when I say I've always been pro gun and am a life long member of the NRA
    And I'm starting to see things differently.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's my view that matters isn't it?

I won't continue with this as I'm outnumbered here and don't want to make people angry or defensive that's not my goal.

I have never been against self defense...or hunting though I wouldn't do it myself and my husband wasn't allowed to bring home anything he shot.

7. Ken Anderson

That's the thing about agendas and media hypes. They can be effective with a lot of people.

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Getting away from guns and back on topic. I believe that this idea of cleaning your record is difficult there are too many variables. If it was a onetime deal than after a certain time it should be removed. If it is a repeated problem than it should stay. People have the ability to change and a few do. Most times to can tell what a person will do by their history. Example is my sister-in-law who got married separated and then got married and separated this when on for 5 times the last she told her mother that this is the right man for me I told the mother don’t believe it just watch well it just happen again.