15 Minutes With Any Living Person

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you could spend 15 minutes with any living person, who would it be and why?

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Rough one.
    I’m not particularly enamored by anyone I can think of who has made the tabloids or news and 15 minutes isn’t enough time to finish a cup of coffee with them if there were.
    Perhaps there are times when I might want to be allowed to give my 2 cents worth with someone face to face but then again, it wouldn’t do any good.
    Those folks believe I and people like me are part of the problem anyway and I would probably be held incognito in some black jail cell for voicing my opinion.
    I guess my answer is no one.

As an afterthought, perchance to meet someone whereby 15 minutes of my time might change Their life for the better would be a good choice.
    And a second afterthought, possibly someone I need to apologize to. Right off hand, I don’t know who that is but if I think about it long enough, I’m sure there’s someone.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

my 15 year old self - and would give me a list of things to do and not to do.

Mary Stetler and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I kinda want to say something obvious--like Trump--but I can already imagine what that might be like. I think maybe Justice Clarence Thomas. Or as @Bobby Cole said, 15 minutes invested with someone that would make a change in their lives.

Without getting real deep so soon in the thread...I've been so inspired and so humbled by the "regular" folks I've seen throughout my years of recovery that those "of status" are less than impressive to me.

Maybe Elon Musk...but I doubt that I'd be able to keep up. It would likely be a waste of both of our time.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I know that it was my question but I can't think of anyone. I'm mostly interested in spending time with people who want to spend time with me.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose that the living persons I want to spend time with, I do. 15 minutes isn't long enough, though.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  7. John Brunner

It's interesting we would all have a hard time picking just one if it were "anyone who ever lived," but the roster of those who are still among the living is bereft of worthwhile choices.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Maybe if I could spend fifteen minutes insulting Nancy Pelosi, that might be worth my time. I'd spend it insulting Joe Biden but I don't think I could speak down to him enough so that he would understand what I was saying.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My mind just goes to friends or family, and I can see most of them whenever I want. Any fool like a "star" or a politician holds zero interest for me. That's 15 minutes I'd rather be flossing my teeth.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Let's see, Ken, it would have to be George Lucas. We are huge Star Wars fans and I'd love to talk to him about his movies, all the way back to 1977's A New Hope.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know?

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Warren Buffet , at least get advice on the market :p

Marie Mallery likes this.
  13. John Brunner

I guess a thread titled "15 Minutes Back-Handing Any Living Person" would be inappropriate, huh?
    But we'd likely get more responses.

14. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would love nothing better than spending a few hours drinking beers with Dr. James Doty. He is one of the most incredible self-made human beings I ever heard of. I don't know him personally but I have read his autobiography "Into the Magic Shop". This is the story of a very poor kid with a drunken father and bedridden depressed mother. The poor kid would never have a chance of getting anywhere in life. But then, a life-changing event occurred when James wandered into a magic shop. It was there that he learned the real magic of life.

Years later after overcoming all kinds of obstacles, he became a world-famous brain surgeon. He lives his life following what he calls the Heart Alphabet: compassion, dignity, empathy, forgiveness, gratitude, humility, integrity, justice, kindness, and love. Jim Doty has reached the top of Maslow's pyramid: Self-actualization.

Jim Doty.png

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Monica Lewinsky ... We could have a nice girl to girl talk about blue dresses and the size of things. ;):p

John Houlihan and Hedi Mitchell like this.