1960 Valentines Snow Storm In Houston

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Thomas Stillhere, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Now Valentines day fell on a Sunday but I remember leaving school at noon due to the weather turning so bad. We all exchanged Valentines cards and I had all mine in a large clear plastic bag. I forget where I got the bag. The only heat our house had was one small space heater that was in the front room. My Grandparents did not believe in running heaters at night and when no one was at home. So my sister and myself were home early and had the house to ourselves, we went out and tossed snowballs at our best friends directly across the street from out house. We would run back inside and stand by the heater and warm up them back out to toss more snowballs. Today the homes on our street block are all gone and a large bus park sits there on the 6 way stop light, just a couple hundred feet off the intersection. I had some great photos we took in black and white but I gave all my photos to my sister to take care of and she is in a home now in Arizona so she told me that her son has the photos. I need to get in touch with him and see if he has those photos, I should have kept them. My best friend is dead now and in the VA cemetery in Houston and I think possibly his sister is also dead, she was a couple years older than the rest of us and there was no obituary for my friend so I just know they were very close and she would have had an obituary in the paper for her brother. This video really brings back great memories as a young boy in Houston. I remember the snow so well, and all the people I knew then. My friends house was recently within the past two years razed so they could expand the park all the way to Airline Drive. They bought all the right of way years ago. That bus park sits right on what was once our front porch and all the way to the end of the V that once had a KAYO gas station on that lot. One of my first jobs was pumping gas there.

https://abc13.com/when-it-snowed-in-houston-historic-snowstorm-snow-film/1197144/

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I noticed when the news guy was interviewing the postman, there is a "Houston Fat Stock Show" banner across the street. I can't remember when they dropped the "fat stock show" from the rodeo name.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for sharing.
    Look at all the beautiful vintage cars. None of the looked alike, like now.
    I have gone to my childhood homes as they appear now, via google, typing in the addresses. One was on a tree lined street--huge maples, all gone now. The other I barely recognized with changes to the exterior. My sister probably has the photos, although she has sent me many that I've appeared in.

4. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Google Earth Pro is free now, it was once a high dollar software. You can drop to ground level using Google Earth and also there is a reverse time so you can travel back in time to the very first satellite views, which are not great but then the technology was so poor at the time. It is still nice to go back in some cases and take a look.

https://www.google.com/earth/versions/#download-pro

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Time is fickle. I have lost some good friends too.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thats the truth, all cars look alike now.We use to know who was a mile down the road, now its a mystery till they get out of the look alike.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

All my family used to go to the old Coliseum for Fat Stock Show. Buffalo Bayou never was pretty back then. In the early 1900s there was a 100 year flood that had water all the way up into downtown. My Grandfather that raised me worked at Peden Iron and Steel which was right there at the bayou and only recently both the main building and the steel warehouse were all razed and made into parking lot. He started working there in the early 60s and worked in the warehouse where he pulled inventory, they sold everything you could imagine. He did that until he got old and his foreman happened to be a WWII vet like my grand father, he put him across the bayou at the steel warehouse where he worked as night watchman for years before retiring. I would visit him late at night and take him a burger and he would be sitting in the break room which had a good view of the entire interior of the warehouse. He would have his feet up on a desk listening to the Astros game. Like I said it's all gone now and a parking lot. A prison of some type is now on the old Peden main block. Peden was a huge company with stores in several large cities. I hated being in Houston in 2005 to 08 just because everything had gone, nothing to recall just empty lots and condos in a lot of places. One place I remember so well was a Polish Private club named the Pok Rok on Airline near cavalcade. A two story brick nice building that was used for get together s every weekend. Polish bands and dancing upstairs, we would have the janitor bring us beer outside and then go back up and dance. Today it is new condos covering the entire block, just sad to see it all go. I have to say at least our old drugstore hangout Akins drugstore is still around but it has been a printing business for decades now. Bill Nelson had the lunch counter leased and all of us school kids would meet up there at the drugstore before school and after. We spent more time at the drugstore than home.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

My Uncle John was an Irish man and liked to go to a club in Tampa ,Fl. called the Ol Bastards Club. I went there with him one time ,it was ok,just some of guys hanging and talking drinking a few beers.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.