A Blog For Seniors

Discussion in 'Member Websites' started by Charles Louis, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Charles Louis

Charles Louis Well-Known Member
    Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2023
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Huum . interesting. Will give this site some thought first.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Don Alaska, Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I spend a bit more time than I have on the computer with summer work needed. Maybe in the late fall will check it out more. Thanks.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is, and that is why I moved it to the member website section. I will give it a few days for responses and then merge the two threads since they are the same .

6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

On second thought ..maybe, not. I notice he never responds to any posts. Things like t hat bug me. Seems to me this is just another site to post his wares.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I agree, and thought it to be so early on, as did Bill Boggs.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Just my opinion that he is using this site and others to promote his blog. The blogger's promotion guide suggests that to give your blog visibility, join every discussion board and forum you can and promote your blog. I see no reason to have your own blog unless one is using it to make money which is usually the case. When SOC offers boards like personal diaries and with so many varied topic boards, I see no reason to have a personal blog that very few read unless you pay out big money to promote or piggyback forums. If a member has been around for a while and participated in other threads, then I might check out their blog, but the ones joining and making a minimal post just to promote their personal blog or website, I won't.

I understand that some had rather post on their blog because they have control over comments. but why should they be allowed to use forums that someone is paying good money to support and time to maintain to promote a blog they profit from and have total control?

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

True

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Yeh, it seems that there's not a bright line on this stuff. There have been a couple of low-participation members who have put up links to stuff that on some days I would delete and on other days I'd give a pass. Looking at it from the other side, the conduit to his blog might be a two way street.

And if you believe some of the responses here (meaning people weren't just "being polite"), folks enjoy his writing, so there's no "offensive factor" to push it one way or the other.

11. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy SPAM, fried, with my eggs and hash browns, but I do not enjoy it on here.

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Apparently there is something (else) wrong with me. There are only 8 posts so far. And it doesn't seem to bother me.

Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It doesn't bother me. It just seems tacky to me that the sole purpose for joining was to promote a personal blog when this forum has a "personal blog" section called Personal Diaries. Why do we have to link off this site when a section is provided for such and he could copy his post off his blog and paste them into a thread in the personal diary section? Yes, it is more convenient for him to link to his diary, but that isn't participating in a discussion forum in my opinion. That is considered spamming on other forums. Some bloggers get paid for every hit they get on their blog so posting it here doesn't make money.

How would this differ from one posting their stories or writing on another forum and then just posting links to those posts here? We have some here, myself included that from time to time post very similar posts on all forums they participate. Maybe we all should just post those links instead of a copy and paste with perhaps some changes that make it more personal to this forum.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Each were individual threads that he just dumped & ran...there was no ongoing interaction or responses to our comments. I agree, it's not a major transgression, but he is just driving by, stuffing his brochure in our mailbox, then on to the next forum.

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

OK. Others keep up with the P.I. work more than I do, so I'll defer. Continue on...

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.