A Different Story . . .

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bruce Andrew, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My question: why Florida?

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  2. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

1) I cannot live in Cuomo's state any longer. My mother's family moved here in 1802, but I'm leaving.

2) My best friends spend 7 months of the year in Florida -- which is a relatively free state compared to NYS -- and I would probably move near where they are.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just wondered. We lived in Jacksonville (northeastern Florida) for 10 1/2 years. Ended up missing a number of things we had on the Eastern Slope in Colorado when we lived there for 5 1/2 years before. Ended up moving back here in 2019 and don't regret one minute that we did. Florida, and The South, isn't for everyone and it took us that long to figure that out. Went thru numerous tropical storms, the outer bands of Hurricane Mathew and Hurricane Irma went right over us. Of course, heat and high humidity is just a part of living in the "tropical State" of Florida.
    Even with the winters, and this last March, we had a full-blown blizzard of 30 inches. But, when living in parts of Colorado, winter comes it. This is our second winter here and we made it and there are several Seniors that live in the city we live in.

But, you just might love Florida, but living in Florida for only 7 months can be/is different than living there all year long. Many love Florida, even lose their home to a hurricane, rebuild and continue living there.

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My folks moved there thinking everyone would come to visit because of beaches and Disneyworld. Not enough enticement for us most of the time. But they loved no snow. Even the heat and the humidity agreed with them. And no income tax!
    The present Governor is Great! I would vote for him if I could only remember his name.:rolleyes:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i say....take that job and shove it...get a decent metal detector and comb the beaches...anyway...welcome!

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Very easy for some to say, whereas not easy at all for others to say. My wife never/ever thought she would have to retire, but, after not working for a year and a half, and enjoying some extra sleep in the morning, then going back (at home) for the last 5 months, she's darn near ready to call it quits.
    Her sister is a retired school teach, who use to do "subbing", gets extremely bored at home.

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bruce Andrew , welcome to SoC from sunny and humid North Carolina. But at least we didn't get a 30 inch blizzard last winter. :D

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  8. Bruce Andrew

Registered

Yeah there's a lot of unknowns, that's for sure. And at my age and health, moving seems like an insurmountable task.

9. Bruce Andrew

Registered

Thanks!

I would rather continue running my business -- it's not like retiring from a job that most people dislike or hate. But it's out of my control.

10. Bruce Andrew

Registered

Thanks! No 30" snow here last winter either.

A very good friend of mine retired in 2005 and he and his family moved from here to New Bern NC. He's been bugging me to come down but I never have, and I haven't seen them since they left here.

Shirley Martin likes this.