A Short Round Of Golf

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Bill Boggs, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I’m sitting here at my desk, my large computer in front of me. My desk chair is a wheelchair. It is what I get around the house in and I take it

whenever I get out of the house and go somewhere, which is seldom.

So if i do anything, it is usually done in my mind.

I look out my back window and watch the trees sway back and forth in the wind. I look at my computer and see the wind is blowing 24 MPH. A little wind like this does not bother me. After all, I spent the biggest part of my life in Lubbock where the wind is a constant factor. Few pay attention to it.

A twenty mph wind is almost like the sun rise. It is constant.

It was cloudy earlier on but is clearing now. I call the golf course to see if they are open. With this pandemic it is sometime difficult to know who is open when.

Fortunately, the course is right down the street from me. I gather up my golf bag.I ned to trim it down. With this wind I won’t need all the clubs I have. Of my four woods, I take only the number two wood. I take my two iron and my irons down through five. I leave the six iron, take the seven, leave the eight and nine and take my favorite pitching wedge. I check my bag for tees and gloves. I also have enough ball markers. It takes longer to get my golf cart ready than everything else. I’m ready for a game.

Down at the clubhouse there are there or four foursomes out on the course, first nine. I can’t see anyone on the back nine but i can’t see much of it. I take a seat on a bench where I can see the first tee. No one is there to tee off but I do not want to play alone so I’ll sit and wait awhile, hoping a threesome will come along and invite me to play with them.

A threesome does come along but they say hello and go on the the tree box. I watch them tee off. All hit good drives, straight down the middle. I have told the pro on duty I will rent a cart if I can get on with somebody. He told me which cart to take nd we’d settle up when I finish. That’s unusual but a nice curtesy. When he does that I always try to tip him.

Two guys come around the corner on a cart. They are both sporting a beer.

I wish I had gotten one. I get up and start toward my cart. One of them asked if I was a solo and responded yes, looking for a game. They invited me to join them.

I introduced myself as Bill and they are Joe and Rusty. Joe asked what ’s my handicap. About fifteen I answer. Sometime a shot or two better, sometime four or five worse. You may be better than we are, Joe says.

At the tee box they both insist I go first. The wind is blowing in our faces

so I take out a two iron, hoping to hit a good one, take a couple of practice swings, then step up to the ball and without delay, hit it.

My God! I think. That’s a perfect hit. The ball had shot twenty feet above the ground and seem to go on forever, then for a real nice roll. Two hundred twenty yards into the wind. Sometimes I love that two iron. They look at each other and take out their drivers.

Joe hits a good drive but the wind catches and he manages about eighty-five yards. Rusty doesn’t do much better. That’s what drivers are good for on a windy day. The next hole is a three par, a hundred seventy-eight yards. A sand trap on either side but no water. I’ll use a four iron and try to keep it low and hope for a good roll. I can’t control a three iron very well.

I’m twenty-five yards short of the green. I stuffed my shot but I’m still in control. I take my pitching wedge and put the ball four feet from the hole. If lucky, this will be a bogeys. Joe is off the green to the right twenty yards on his first shot. He pitches onto the green seven or eight foot from the hole.

Rusty is ten foot off the green, in good position on first shot. He pitches up two foot from the hole, then drops it in for a par. Both Joe and I get bogeys.

I’m already beginning to tire.

I manage to continue but without the accuracy of the first few holes. I am blowing hard. We’re ay hole nine. My score card reads forty. Joe is forty-four, Rusty in the lead with a thirty-nine.

No. 9 is a long par 4; four hundred and fifty yards. The wind is o our back. We’ve had a couple of gusts that felt like forty mph and the wind is to our backs.

Rusty hits a good driver, some three hundred and twenty-five yards out, but he sliced it a bit. He’s in the rough. I’m next up and take my two wood, step up and smack it. The wind is behind it but it is dropping fast. Two hundred-fifty with a good roll, a little over three hundred yards. Joe gets a good smack. The wind catches it and he’s getting a free ride and a pretty good bounce and roll. Three hundred and ninety-five yards.

Rusty gets a good pitch but he’s on the back side of the green, twenty-five foot from the hole.

Second shot: Rusty is a hundred and twenty-five yards out. He hits a nine iron and rolls to the back side of the , some twenty-eight foot from the green, leaving a long put. I am one hundred and forty-five yards out and hit a seven iron. I’m twelve foot from the pin. Not bad, not bad old man, I think.

Joe is only about fifty-five yards out and hits a nine iron. It hits the middle of the green and rolls off the green about five yards. Still not bad for a windy day.

We wait for Joe to get on the green. He does with a nice little pitch leaving him about fifteen foot from the cup.

Rusty is away. He got a long put. He looks it up and down, one side to the other. With a couple of practice swings behind him, he steps up and taps the ball. He is two inches short and two inches to the side. What a lag! He get a par. forty-three for the nine. Good game. He’s competitive.

Joe two putts, giving him a forty-five for the nine.

I am twelve foot from the cup but I two put giving me a par, so I come out with a forty-four for nine holes. At the clubhouse we have a beer and discuss the game. Rusty - 43; Bill-44; Joe-45. Good game guys. The beer is on me.

You never know what a day will turn in to. I’m a little tired but I really enjoyed the game today. Rusty and Joe seem like great guys. Maybe I’ll catch them again sometime. Just what i needed.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

That was an interesting novel, Bill...
    Hal

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That's why it's in the Tall Tales and Fabrications section, Hal. I enjoy Bill's stories quite a bit.

Joe Riley and Shirley Martin like this.